Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Stress test of SA banks

Not applicable
I wonder what the outcome would be if a stress test was done on SA banks with a property value decline of the same 60% as the Chinese are using.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
surely the more important question is - do you really think SA property can drop 60% ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Bring on a land grab..and see what happens!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yaya boet .. or sea level rises 100m ..

tonight, commodore @ 9, or 8 if you want some drinks after the presentation ?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I dont think there is any reason for our property to fall that much, I am no expert but in China, Dubai, etc. the prices of real estate was totally overvalued - hence the 60% decline, here i dont know if we have the same level of overvaluedness? Our banks are awesome as well - I think they will pass stress tests. Have you guys ever read/researched Canadian banks - they also very cool!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
okes if you think land grab is out of the question..just cast your eye over district six or newlands village...that is 50years ago in this country...by your own fathers!!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I use the term Fathers losely of course!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
just for fun imagine the idea that nobody is allowed second homes for example..or farm ownership without agriculture.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Ah John, making people feel all warm and fuzzy. If you look at the average house price and the average household income houses are still overpriced in this country. Short of something (perhaps a very aggressive rate rising cycle) to trigger forced sales I expect houses to drift sideways which will in real terms drive house prices lower. I do think our banks would be a lot better off than their european and american counterparts but that said I suspect there would be a lot pain and suffering cause there are lots of dubious loans on the books.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
John, you should know that here in the Cape its a classic case of same father, different mother !!! Always has been - LOL
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Who knows/remembers the actual numbers that the banks hold in real estate linked loan book? Would be cool to see the percentages?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
thing is if we're looking at alternative possibilities for the future, we have to base them on some facts, rather then merely fears .. an as my wife consults to DLA on land policy (and mosty wrote the white paper) the facts as they stand don't support whole sale land grabs .. could that change - sure .. but then queen liz could start land grabs as well, certainly been done before by her family ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
well Thats very intersting about your wife involvment.... My Brother is in a huge tis after having seen the film about Zim's land grab..I am sure he would love to chat to your wife. As he now has a be in his bonnet....The question Simon at the back of everybodys minds is why did SA sit back and let what was an obviously ratialy motivated land grab happen on their door step despite many politians having had first hand experience of being on the recieving end...unless they some how suport such a practice...Personally I have three friends who lost farms.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Here's how I see the 2 scenarios for property deflation:
Political - Could be due to a political direction the government took and made all the "bloody agents" leave the country. ANCYL has stated that residential property (even multiple properties owned by one white man) won't be threatened, it's farms and the minerals under the ground they have their sites on. So only moderate risk there, but property deflation will only be a symptom of other bigger wounds in the economy in such a scenario.
Economic - double dip or worse than a double dip pullback with global business grinding to a halt and nobody having jobs. Moderate risk there as well, but banks would then need to worry about other factors first like no liquidity, loans made to businesses, etc.
IMO the tests are nonsense as you can only test for the conditions you can foresee, it's Rumsfeld's unknowns unknowns that's the real black swan here. But markets now go ahead and treat it as the holy grail.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
the reason they sat back is easy .. savong face, ignore it an it may not seem so bad .. banding together, we see it all the time in global orgs; AU, G8/G20, EU etc .. look what happened in Greece an how eventually the EU bandied together and pretended everything is alright .. yet greece still going to default, just not this year ..
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
0 Kudos