Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Supergroup advice?

Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
For the more knowledgable traders etc.. any advice or thoughts on Supergroup. I bought them just before they grouped the share, and have doubled my money. They have been flat for a while now... Hold or sell?
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well what was the exit plan you had when you entered ??
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
I bought it with the long term view as I do with most of my shares..but it has been flat for some time now.. Guess just wondering what the general consensus is..
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
I bought at R7.10 and sold close to R16.00. The way I see it they are have been doing things right and probably will for some time to come. I took my profit and will look at the next results to see if I will play here again. They are making money again but will they be able to put it to good use? I am betting yes! I to dont like the dead months when the share goes flat like that.
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
Ja, I bought in at R7.92.. So I've made a good profit. But they grew rapidly and with there being a focus on really turning that company around, I thought I'd hold onto it.... but just wanted the views or opinions of others.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
FMNY,my advice, if you want to trade shares then have two accounts one for trading abd one for your long term investments.SARS is very quick to label you a trader , thereby adding your profit to your other income and before you know it you could be taxed at one or two brackets higher negating most of your profit due to the backet creep,that is assuming you're not already paying tax at the marginal rate. CFDs and SSF are a much better instrument if you want to trade, but do your homework first.
0 Kudos
el_nino
Contributor
0 Kudos
Funnymoney
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for info chaps
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Just a note - you have not made any money while holding, also not suffer a loss while holding. On the tax issue referred to elsewhere: if you "trade" within 36 months from buy and realise a profit, you are a trader and will not convince SARS that this is not the case. Also, there is NO guarantee that SARS will regard you as an investor if you hold some shares for longer than 36 months, and flog the others. The opinion to open TWO accounts (one for trading) is very sound advice.
0 Kudos