Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Surprisingly up in spite of Rugby quotas furore.

striker
Super Contributor
..Anybody following the debacle ?- Absa calling for more Black,less White players in the Currie Cup. It seems they have made a huge PR mistake here, with the Rugby loving public.Reading the News 24 blogs,hundreds,if not thousands of their clients are closing their accounts.Much of the uproar concerns the total absence of White players in the Bafana team,and the lack of any qoutas in Soccer. .Would be interesting to hear from any forumites who bank (or not any longer) with ABSA.
0 Kudos
78 REPLIES 78
Not applicable
Big joke is, Absa was originally Volkskas, founded by Paul Kruger to make the Boere independent of the English banking system.How the wheel (stomach) turns...
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
...down with ABSA. But will still keep my biz accounts with them, too much hassles to move to another bank.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Well, if they don't reckon white clients, they should just say so. No beating around the bush. I'm sure white clients will act accordingly.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
..Some ANC influences by Ms. Ramos possibly ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sjoe - interesting one. I think ABSA absolutely didn't think when they said that. I'm closing my account tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Absa denies every ssaying this and have called on Oregon to please explain where he got this codswallop from!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Barbarossa, when Volkskas was founded, Paul Kruger had been dead for about 30 years. The drive for the formation of Absa came from Piet Badenhorst, then CEO of United at the time.
0 Kudos
Torres
Contributor
They merely said the facts out loud! ABSA has sponsored the Currie cup for the past few decades, so I guess they can "dictate" the terms as to whom they sponsor . . .or withdraw their sponsorship.
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
. Absa denied this,but Afriforum has proof of an SMS sent to Hoskins confirming their call for qoutas .
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
. Torres ,surley it's not a Banks business to get involved with politics ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Would a mojor institution like Absa correspond by SMS?
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Torres
Contributor
If only it were that simple. Unfortunately, we live in a country where politics, sports and business are interlinked. I attended a Careers day at a school in a "township" area a couple of days ago and it was heartbreaking to see that these children are being taught in container boxes,where is gets freaking hot or freezing cold. They don't have desks, chairs, books or a playground! Let alone a rugby field. They can't study after dark 'cos they don't have electrictity. They don't have the facilities to be on par with the "better off kids". However, it doesn't mean that they don't have the ability or the potential to do well at school or in sport. So how are they supposed to get a fair shake in life. They need a "sponsor" to develop their potential. We have the luxury of having our own businesses and investing money into shares. Those kids just want to pass matric so that they can get a job so that hopefully they can own a home (homeloan from ABSA?) and give their kids a better life. So, politics and business do mix!
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
.. agreed Torres,but then their government should've thought about the plight of those poor kids before wasting the money on fancy cars, hotels,parties and the Billions wasted on the SWC.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
i think the best part is that most of these players of colour that play in CC went to good schools, (very desadvantaged?). How does demanding more players of colour help any one? all it does is lower the standard of the game as it not best 30 players on the fild, and often not the best ref. if absa really wanted to help(not just gain politcal advantage) they would pump cash into disadvantaged schools/area, buying better equipment, hiring better coaches( black or white, who ever better). Honestly i dont understand who wld benefit from each side having 1 or 2 extra players of colour?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You actually mean - Corrupt government!
0 Kudos
Torres
Contributor
I am certainly not condoning the actions and morals of the politicians. Do you think FW and PW retired poor men? It's OUR government, whether we support the ANC or not. It's THE government that also brought us the RWC in 1995 and the CWC in 2003! The future of our businesses is dependent on those very same uneducated masses that support us. No education, no upliftment - then where is the future of our sacred businesses?
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
well said torres !! amazing how somebody could live in this country and refer to 'their, government. the americans always say - dont ask what your country can do for u ......
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
This bunch of venal kleptocrats led by a corrupt moron dressed in leopard skins and wielding a wooden AK might be your "govt", but it is certainly not mine..and never will be, just like the Nats were never their govt. And let's not start with the patriotic garbage.
0 Kudos