Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Swine Flu......

Ninja
Super Contributor
Looks like swine flu is not going away and could cripple world economies......could this have a significant effect on markets medium term.....?
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
jack12
Super Contributor
Yea they said the same about the Black plague, bubonic plague, malaria, AIDS and a host of others. Dont let that BS confuse you. You are only living now so trade the now. Surviving today is more important than anything you read in the news. ( I remember being taught that it was imposible to split the atom) Not to mention, more people have died from common flu than have ever been killed by any of the plagues??? Does that not make you think?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Could be, could be not. I do think I want to get swine flu as soon as possible, because during the 1918 epidemic then the people who get the first strain were safe from the killer one! Anyone been to Mexico?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
swine flu is no different from the varous flu strains we get every year .. difference is that the media got all excited ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Opinions seem to differ on that. Newer info suggests that it replicates in the lungs, which is more similar to the 1918 virus than seasonal flu. The real worry is that it mutates, as in 1918 - first version was tame, the second was the issue. 1918 survivors seem immune to this strain.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hope it culls 90% of the human population. . . . . . Starting with believers.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but currently nobody is dying - that's the only truth right now .. an yes of course there is lots of the end of world stuff .. there always is ..
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
im confused about treatment...is there a permanant vaccine or not?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
trade the price, basically ;)
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
I gather that Black Death and Bubonic survivors are also unlikely to get swine flu.
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Hate Gauteng.You statement is Not on not appropriate not funny and very offensive
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Storrm in a teacup. On a list of one to ten, one being the worst of things to fear in SA, this ranks 19 on my list. Please go away with all this noise about a new strand of flu. 500 died worldwide, woopeedoo. That's about the same amount of people that die in this country from AIDS in one day, or people dying in car crashes on a long weekend. My guess is most media articles are sponsored by pharmaceutical companies. Watch out for the miracle cure next week folks, because some pharmaceutical company is going to make a lot of money.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Believers in what ?
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Is that a hint to buy Ad*****??
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Hategauteng please elaberate on your wish,can you contemplate the world with no females and they say 10% of males are gay,whatwould you guys talk about.Please enlighten us......
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Well let's say your company are in the position to sell 1 000 000 shots of gummy berry juice to an unsuspecting public in a month at a profit of a few hundred persent, what would that do to your bottom line.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
If 90% of people died around you, I guarantee you will become a believer in something, even if it's only your own mortality.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Try, for two seconds, to entertain the possibility of what happens when this gets into an area where HIV is prevalent.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Yes, about the same as when you get one of the thousand other strains of flu out there and you have aids. This strain is just much more publicised. Have you entertained the idea that if only 500 people died worldwide out of a 1 000 000, the changes are pretty good that you've had a strain of flu in your live that is much more lethal than this one?
0 Kudos