Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Swine Flu......

richardw
Super Contributor
The experts, such as those in the WHO and CDC - have special programmes focused on this strain. You think they're operating on the same level of awareness and understanding as the media?

Again, it's not panic-level. Nobody's buying face masks and I have zero fear of catching this strain, as I said in my first post. But insisting that there is zero risk of consequence ignores various possibilities.
0 Kudos
Terra
Super Contributor
From todays's Daily Standard......Swine flu as of 6 July 94,512 swine flu cases have now been recorded globally, across 80 countries, with 429 known deaths. Recent WHO news reports that some cases of resistance to Tamiflu in Japan, Hong Kong, China and Denmark could hamper vaccination using this drug. To date, no cases of resistance have been noted to GSK's Relenza.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an in the first 4 months of this year more than 13,000 people have died of complications from seasonal flu, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's ..
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
And you can top all of that with the DAILY deaths from Cholera,Aids, and TB etc.And we have'nt touched on the thousands dying of starvation each day.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Well, the only swine I read about today is the one whose ministry bought him 2 brand new BMW 750i's at a total cost of R2.27m; one for Pretoria and the other for Cape Town....
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Maybe we should not just play this pandemic down and the way I see it is, that especially immunocompromised people, the elderly and people with other chronic ailments are at risk of getting seriously ill, but this then is also the case as Simon says with seasonal serious other flu epidemics.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
The elderly seem pretty safe - only 1% of cases are over 64. Some of the groups that seem more susceptible include obese people and those with asthma.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Believers in swine flu and other end of the world *****.
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
Am I missing something here? Vanilla flavour flu has caused 13000 deaths, Swine flu has caused 429 deaths. Everyone is worried about swine flu. Eish.
0 Kudos