Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TA and some questions

Not applicable
Guys, I am getting more and more into TA but have a question for the experienced gurus out here. If a share price ticks up slowly but on very low volumes over a few days (7 days compared to 30 day ave) does this always show 'weakness' for the up trend or is that the sahre has possibly just lost a little flavour for some other sector for the present? If is does show 'weakness' how would you use MA and BOL to determine trend on a share? Tnx
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
ROM oscillator (road map, basicly tells you in what zone of the share you are,it could be buyzone, hold zone or sell zone) it uses: SMA, 200 Day simple moving average, is the most common average 'meter' used by investors. A typical strategy: basicly divide the ROM into three horizontlal segments (by drwing two hor lines), 1. If ROM in bottom third, bouncing back from support, then buy. 2. If ROM in middle segment, then hold. 3. When ROM in top third, coming back from restance, then sell. It is a more reliable way of capitalizing, but requires a LOT o' PATIENCE.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Then there is MACD (measures vert distance between two SMA's example. 7 and 12 day sma's) normally if they cross eachother then buy/sell. I would also like to get to know BOL theory a bit better.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Its called a saucer bottom, and is supposed to be bullish. Personally, technical indicators are not of much use in a case like this. I would rather focus on fundamentals. Technical indicators are more useful for shares with a decent trading range.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry, I didn't read your question properly. Ignore my response. It is relevant to small caps that have been ticking over but don't have a trading range
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Tnx Guys, this helps me to identify buy/sell. But does the ROM not work better on 200 than on say 30 or 45 periods? I will test these against my paper trades and see what I can do to understand the signals better.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
If the share is trending then a mixture of signals is used. Candles, Stoch, 10,200 and 200 day MA together with Bollies (indicates volitility and extremes)give reliable signals (the time periods used should be adjusted to suit the performace of the share traded as a highly volitile share is different to a sideways trending share)
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
If the share is trending then a mixture of signals is used. Candles, Stoch, 10,50 and 200 day MA together with Bollies (indicates volitility and extremes)give reliable signals (the time periods used should be adjusted to suit the performace of the share traded as a highly volitile share is different to a sideways trending share)
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Don't get caught up with too many indicators. You will get overloaded with info and not take a trade because there is a discrepancy or a divergence. Remember that price action is everything and how it relates to moving averages is all you need to trade well. That, fibonacci and pivots and you will be a god.
0 Kudos