Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TO Simon

Brazen
Super Contributor
I don't think mkadir is a t***, james. I think he's a twit.
0 Kudos
James15
Contributor
as long as its karma sutra ...i'll be happy.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The real answer to this question is anywhere between negative R 1 and several billion....if the literature is to be believed at least 80% of traders make a loss.....so very few actually make profits consistently....this could be evidenced by how many ppl stay around to brag another day on this forum.....from some of the confessions made to me (esp round the DRD debacle) people are able to lose very substantial amounts of money before they realize that they need to change what they are doing. I include myself in this....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
that was a loss of several billion...(SocGen)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist. Thats well said. I could'nt agree more. I've been there lost big time and now i've changed my thinking for the better. Even if i make 1k profit of 60K a day, iam more than satisfied.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
mkadir....come ...confess to Chartist....how much have you lost? all will be forgiven my son..
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yep Chartist i agree, first rule if you think you cant lose then the mother of all losses is around the corner, money management, money management without it youre a gonner. Happy trading
0 Kudos
BusyBee
Contributor
Absolutely hilarious! I must say this forum really picks up my day!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist. I confess. I lost R160 000. had to sell R500k townhouse for R250k to pay of depts. I was desperate Broe. I got bashed really badly. Thats how i learnt my lesson
0 Kudos
Not applicable
so here are my top tips for not making consistent profits: We wont even talk about stop losses cause if you are not using them you needn't read any further....stop right now and get on with the job your boss is paying you to do. 1) make sure you put the maximum of defined % of your capital at risk in any one trade (good guide is 5%) 2) Reward yourself - make the money real....go have an extravagant meal or buy that toy you want if you make profit 3) Keep you account at a stable level....i.e. take the profits out of your trading account on a regular basis 4) Never add to your account if you have eaten in to your capital...it will be hard to work with less capital but this way you will learn a lesson 5)After a really good trade take some time out and don't trade for a while....your hubris is your worst enemy and you are very vulnerable after you have made money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mkadir....thank you my son...your sins are forgiven...go forth and make profits and never &%(&#$@% do that again...R 410 000 is a &%*(#%$^ lot of money!
0 Kudos
John_the_Baptis
Contributor
some good advise for us novices.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist. thank you father, I am just gonna carry on making my tiny profits.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mkadir...dont be so quick to get off your knees ...I was just starting to enjoy that
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL. i love this forum
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
chartist, 5% is a lot. I run at closer to 1.5%, albeit off the entire portfolio.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
agreed....it is too much....should def not be more than this
0 Kudos