Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TOPI futures strategies

logotino
Contributor
Hi, I recently started trading ALMI futures. My objective initially was purely educational - just to see how futures trading works. I haven't really been basing my trading on any sort of sound logical principles (essentially I have just been flipping a coin). I think, however, that I may want to start putting a bit more effort into futures trading in the near future. Can anyone perhaps recommend some good resources on potential strategies? Also, are there any (free) tools that can be used for intra-day technical analysis on the OST site or elsewhere? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OST price charts are mostly useful for longer trading horizons and are not really applicable to intra-day trading.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Bouwer
Super Contributor
You get some pretty useful tools with easy trader.. R 100 a month not too bad and has all the analysis you may need.. www.justonelap.com will probably have all the info you need..
0 Kudos
logotino
Contributor
Thanks. I will check those out!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you can't day trade with Almi futures - period, so even using them for practise is probably not worthwhile. They are longer term instruments, because of the costs involved and the spread (not as liquid as alsi futures). The only instrument available for day trading is the Alsi futures contract. Trading is 90% mental - so if you aren't practising with the real thing, then you aren't really practising. Read 'Trading in the Zone' by Mark Douglas - the traders bible - a classic. Most of us have read it - some a couple of times. Simon is rumoured to read it to his nephews each night as a bed time story.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
you can trade ALMI futures, if you tarding maube less thsn 3 contracts...its liquid enough for even intraday trading, but not very profitable for trading large number of contracts because the costs will eat into your profit....or be almost the same as your loss per contract.
0 Kudos
logotino
Contributor
Yes, I am trading only a couple of ALMI contracts at most. I don't have R40k lying around for the ALSI margin.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
allow me to repeat. You can't day trade Almi's. It will cost you R28 a contract. You will need to gain 28 points just to cover your costs - add another 20 points to cover the spread (maybe tighter at times, but unlikely, given the liquidity). That is 50 points more or less - just to break even. Assuming you are working on a 2 times risk reward ratio (which should be your minimum) - you will need to gain 100 points just to cover the spread and costs risk. Now, assuming you are working on an incredibly tight stop loss of 50 points, you need to double this - so a 200 point gain is about the right R/R ratio. Considering the Average true range of the JSE is usually around 500 points, you would need to be good enough to capture almost half of this every time you trade. A big big ask. The ALSI, however, has a 3 point spread - and you only need 3 points to cover the cost. A big big difference. If you don't have the cash for ALSI futures - stay away from day trading - you will lose. Period
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
1 x Almi contract @ DWT Securities costs R1.47 + VAT. You use Swordfish to trade via DWT Securities. Excellent application for real time trading and real time charts. Look no further. In my opinion it's not worth while trading futures via SBK. http://www.swordfishonline.co.za/live/default.aspx https://www.dwt.co.za/
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i agree....but see my post below
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, a single ALMI contract should not be more than R2.50....in fact more likely R1.25 for intraday trading with "expiration" at end of day.
0 Kudos
leoridge
Contributor
You can also trade the alsi intraday with a half margin account with many brokers, DWT included. Be very confident in your plan/strategy and can't emphasize the impact of emotions on your performance enough.
0 Kudos
logotino
Contributor
Makes sense. Point taken. Thanks for the message.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Overseas Markets in a sea of green today....banks not too stressed, Ebola in NYC under control, what else?
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Almi and Alsi futures are the same thing. Its easier to reduce/add to your position with Almi's than Alsi. Both trade on the same principle. I neednt mention that the Almi is just 1 Alsi future divided into 10. I have been trading the Almi more successfully than the Alsi also depending on the market.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos