Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TOPI

Russ
Super Contributor
is just hitting resistance (20480-20500) again,but on very light volume.This is its second attempt to penetrate this level in the last couple of days.
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
john_1
Super Contributor
A close above 22600 on the cash gives a new buy signal..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja it really is battling....we are trying to take out the high of 18 Dec as well so its a triple top.....I don't think its gonna do it...big orders are on the sell side...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja we failed...(the futures i mean)at 20800...we may have a go later again but for now the rally is off
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
just breaching as we speak... Cash to follow soon....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
looks like it is through for now.. but it is the closing price that is so important toady.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist, do you have any info on the so called "January Effect"?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The January effect is the tendency of the stock market to rise between December 31 and the end of the first week in January. There are many theories for why this happens, the main one being that it occurs because many investors choose to sell some of their stock right before the end of the year in order to claim a capital loss for tax purposes. Once the tax calendar rolls over to a new year on January 1st these same investors quickly reinvest their money in the market, causing stock prices to rise. The January effect has been observed numerous times throughout history, though the first week of January 2008 was a notable exception. Historically if the S&P 500 goes up in January the trend will follow for the rest of the year. Conversely if the S&P falls in January then it will fall for the rest of the year. Since 1979 this trend has been repeated 32 of a possible 39 times. (Mirabaud Strategic team)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Looks to me like the 204-206 level is really significant and has been tested since October 3. It has been tested 4 times - 5 if you include November 5 where it fell a bit short. Would any of you short the TOPI, if we don't close above? If so, what would your expected gains be?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Not sure about shorting it,Skaaptjop,but there is a massive potential up move if it gets through this resistance after testing it 5 times.This appears to be an ascending triangle.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
May i ask what warrants, if any, you will be entering if there is an buy signal. yesturday I sold out of AGLSBE with the view that futures were down etc, but i might have been wrong about that so i will re-enter if there is a sign of a major upswing. thanks
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Rus. I am also interested to hear how you would approach going long on an ascending triangle breakout. They are not my favourite pattern, because I don't know how to set a target exit price. (They have high potential for a pullback). For me, i am waiting for a breakout, followed by a pullback in order for a swing trade setup, but I would like to hear alternative strategies
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
John,well explained,yes i fully believe in that theory....just as i believe in "Sell in May and go away!"....Now Simon had just said there was no such effect when the market hit its highest point on the 22 of May 2008 namely 33,310!....The market then had its worst plunge in modern history reaching its lowert point of near 18000 in Nov!....Now i must admit circumstances must exist that cause massive moves,but probably knowing about these phases also helps accelerate the moves.....I feel that the present upturn will probably peter out as the news coming out of the old industrial countries continues to be very bad....I'm hoping that this run will last into Feb and that a secondary run will occur late in Mar though April before we return to the bear again.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Barry historically May is actually a good month but JUNE is the worst with DEC and January the best...but then you and your bank account know this already..my point is its june not may that must be avoided.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Unfortunately u are right!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
21000?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
yeah!!
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
On the daily TOP40 there's a RHS of which the neckline got broken beginning of Dec08. Went all the way back and retested neckline. We've now breached that high and potential upside for next month or 2 is 23000. Can then easily retrace to below 19,000, if 20,000 doesn't hold. For now, very nice momentum building up with this up move!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Wow. that was a wild last half hour... that gap close on the US really took the wind out for a few minutes.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
What is the significance of a descending triangle and what kind of probabilities are attached to it playing out and most likely in what direction? And as I write this they try and run it out on the upside only to really see it fall back!!!
0 Kudos