Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Taking Profit

Not applicable
Somebody(sponono?) asked the question the other day if you always take profit only at target. I incorrectly said I do most of the time.
Realized today its not as often as I think, but only with my discretionary trades. With mechanical trades Im like a robot.
My problem is that Ive learned so many analysis techniques, fibonacci, trend lines and other indicators, that I can always find a reason to exit early (or enter).

this is something I need to work on this year...
Any advice?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Preston
Super Contributor
My technique is very simple. I have a desired profit level. Once that level has been attained, i have another indicator that i use. Once i find that indicators is losing strength, i sell immediately.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
is your desired profit level the same as your target?
with me its not, thats why I exit early (I think).
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Most of the time, but sometimes i do fall short and i do exit early.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
thanks, Ill have a look
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
...and when you do a post mortem do you find after your profit target has been met does the stock collapse or merely consolidate for a few weeks and go in your direction even more.....
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
65% it collapses?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It often reaches target but without me.
I think I still have it my mind the days that where winning trades turned into losers. That fear still haunts me...
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
Should we not block the performance of the stock after we have sold out of our mind.Perfect trades are a luxury and if we hit target it has done well? Keeping a third back helps if the stock goes in your favour after sold
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
No - because experience counts. What has to be blocked out, is the urge to replay the decision and non desired result, which is a counter productive exercise. (All humans suffer from this urge. It's like chanting "if only I did this, not that...")
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
I have this concept called "Game over" . Any subsequent appreciation does not bother me.
0 Kudos
Cedric_1
Contributor
No advice, but when you find the answer please tell me!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Cedric, there is no right answer.The only correct outcome is profits.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
the exit is always messy because you want the market to do what you thought it would do before exiting...deal with it by being prepared to re-enter rather than letting the previous trade distract you
0 Kudos