Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax Returns

Stij
Contributor
So where does one declare profit/loss from trading activity which doesn't count as a capital gain/loss? The only section that looks applicable is the "Income due to trade, business or other activity" but selecting that option loads an entire income statement which seems more like the kind of thing to be used when trading through a CC? The source codes in this section also seem to pertain to professionals i.e. the closest to share trading is stock brokerage... Please help.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Dutch
Frequent Contributor
I declared mine under Income other than Turnover, Description: Share Tading, Source code: 2598. Hope this helps
0 Kudos
Stij
Contributor
Thanks - but I can't find that section on my tax return. Which overall heading is it under? Using e-filing btw...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
a response from SARS

I had a question from a client as to where on his tax return (IT12) should he enter profits from share trading that are NOT CGT (CGT has its own specific section).

SARS have advised that the client (tax payer) select "Local Business, trade and professional income" when setting up his tax return online, and then disclosing the share trading profits in the space provided.

This would also most likely be the section where Futures P&L would be disclosed as it is unlikely to be of a capital (CGT) nature.
0 Kudos