Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax Tips

db88
Contributor
I'm sure this is a recurring topic on this forum, but are there any tips to reduce your tax bill from your trading and investment profits? I tried to do some research on the internet and as far as I can tell you are able to open a private company, but you won’t be able to benefit from the small business corporation tax rates (as revenue from “investment incomeâ€� is limited to 20% of total). Is this correct? If so, is it even worth going through the trouble to register a private company (as you will still be paying 28% tax and lose a lot of the tax benefits given to individual tax payers?
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
And STC (now dividend tax) to get your money out of the company. And statutory fees to CIPRO for the honour; AND audit fees; AND secretarial fees...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no audit required if you small, but CGT 66% of rate for company vs. 33% for individual (albeit co is 28% vs. max of 40% for individual) ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Y the 08 revision. Too true until you want to raise funds against your portfolio or use it in any way as a form of security.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
And the primary exemptions!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Who is exempt from Withholdings Tax on Dividends? The dividend is exempt from dividends tax if the beneficial owner is: a trust contemplated in section 37A of the Income Tax Act; Can anyone shed some light on this ?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The dividend is exempt from dividends tax if the beneficial owner is: • a company which is resident in South Africa; • the Government, provincial government or municipality (of the Republic ; of South Africa) • a public benefit organisation (approved in terms of s30(3) of the Income Tax Act) • a trust contemplated in section 37A of the Income Tax Act; • an institution body or board contemplated in section 10(1)(cA) of the Income Tax Act; • a fund contemplated in section 10(1)(d)(i) or (ii) of the Income Tax Act; • a person contemplated in section 10(1)(t) of the Income Tax Act (CSIR,SANRAL etc); • a shareholder in a registered micro business as defined in the Sixth Schedule to the Income Tax Act to the extent that the aggregate amount of the dividends paid by that registered micro business to its shareholders during the year of assessment in which that dividend is paid does not exceed R200,000 and; • a person that is not a resident and the dividend is a dividend contemplated in paragraph (b) of the definition of “dividend” in section 64D.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If you open a private co, can you claim back the VAT on the brokerage.?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, if you rgister for vat .. but make sure the paper works is worth the saving ..
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Very difficut to register for VAT these days and The VAT Act requires that you be "carrying on a business... Clearly that will lead to trouble when you realise a profit as it will be seen to be an income item.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Land rehabilitation, restoration etc. DME type stuff.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
With the greatest respect to the questioner this is not the right place to be seeking "free " tax or plannning advice - and as regard those supplying answers(?) offering such advice is at best naive but more likely they run the risk of breaching the FAIS Act. Can the forum please not be highjacked by ridiculous stuff like this.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
They changed to Dept of Minerals and Resources (DMR)
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Yes - but the act specifies DME - and the change of name brings its own mess with it - and on it goes.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BUT, if you look carefully, you'll see that there is no "advice" being offered. It's a general discussion. If we don't discuss this sort of thing, what are we going to discuss? Nobody seems to discuss companies or economics or politics. Such efforts re met with a derisive sneer. It's just the odd bit of nonsense about trading. AND that is a repetitive bore.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Agree Threshold...I have picked up tips to become more tax efficient the forum. Tax aviodance is legal, which is what is being discussed, and not tax evasion which is illegal.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Agree. Like Simon said, This is a BAR...you can drink anything, say anything...people get all worked up about the lack of serious stuff on the forum...but serious stuff will attract only one or two replies and the "nonsense trading stuff" like we had from Riaan and his Sewerage company attracted the most replies. So the serious stuff is where the work is done and thats the trading platform, the forum is where we come for a drink and some obsceneities!
0 Kudos
db88
Contributor
Breaching the FAIS Act... Are you serious? This is a forum where people share their opinion's. I am not lookking for free advise but rather for confirmation that my own research is correct.
0 Kudos
db88
Contributor
Breaching the FAIS Act... Are you serious? This is a forum where people share their opinion's. I am not lookking for free advise but rather for confirmation that my own research is correct.
0 Kudos
db88
Contributor
0 Kudos