Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax calc

Not applicable
Let me put it this way, take the amount called 'purchase exposure' on P&L report enter it as Purchases/cost and then 'sale exposure' as the proceeds/sale. the diffrence depended on which is larger will result in a profit or loss. if the amount is different from tax statement, include the brokerage amount and see if it works. If you double up the cost, it will look a bit odd and won't add up!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
All I see on the "Report of gains and losses for the period 1 March 2008 - 28 February 2009 (Single stock futures)" are "position brought forward"; "carried forward position @MTM" and "brokerage and vat for period" I just took the "period profit/-loss"; totalled the profits and totalled the losses and put that down as "sales" and "cost of sales" in the IT12. Hope this is correct as the "period profit/loss" includes brokerage.
0 Kudos
Sugar_Snap
Frequent Contributor
Ring-fenced - when does it apply? This involves a two part threshold: (a) Max marginal rates - taxable income equals or exceeds the amount at which the max marginal rate becomes applicable. (b)Suspect loss trades - only losses from suspect trades are subject to potential ring-fencing. (either or test). Suspect trade is one that fails the '3 out of 5 year' loss rule or a trade that is explicitly listed as a suspect trade. (Income tax act sections 20 & 20A). Once ring-fenced, always ring-fenced till you make profits to off-set the losses against in the same trade. Hope this helps a little bit.
0 Kudos
Sugar_Snap
Frequent Contributor
Hi HateGauteng, I am going to complete my IT12 as well with the exposure figures (sales & purchases) and other expenses (brokerage), seeing that SARS received the profit/loss report from Standard Bank as well. I am not a top margin earner and hope that SARS will not see my trading as a suspenct trade and therefore not ring-fence my loss. All the best. Let know what happened when you receive your IT34 back.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Hi Sugar Snap. Busy filling out my form with my cousin. He put his losses as "other expenses" and got his return in a few days. I following this route and see what happens.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
OK I hit "file" this morning. My initial assment says that my rebate will probably include 10-15% of my trade losses plus other stuff that I have in there. Let's see if I get that back.
0 Kudos