Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax for investing and trading

Not applicable
hi guys, for tax purposes and trasparency is it advisable to have one account for trading and another for investing?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
BRE
Regular Contributor
I might be wrong, but I think if you have one account you'd be taxed as a trader on your investments. If you have two accounts, one for investments and another for trading, you stand a better chance on not being taxed on your investments, provided you hold the stocks in your investment account for at least 3 years.
0 Kudos
PILOT_ROB
Contributor
If your'e married, put one in your name and the other in your wifes - tarding account in a c.c.(then can expense everything - subs, computers, etc)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you. Happy Holidays!
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
make the bucks then worry obout the taxes
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
make the bucks then worry obout the taxes
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Are we supposed to pay tax on the gains we make from the stock market??? Sorry im taking a bit of a step back here...
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
if you hold share a share for 3 years or longer you will be paying capital gains - if a trader you pay regular tax
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
is there anyone trading in a cc ? is it working for you? can you cllaim your losses
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Regular tax being VAT?
0 Kudos
ZerOgravity
Contributor
So what happens if I have one trading account , I buy and sell sasol 10 times within a year - some at a profit some at loss but overall loss, will i be taxed on the gains without being able to claim any losses? or what if my overall portfolio has been hammered but i made some profits - do I still have to pay tax on the trades that made me money yet my porfolio is down ?
0 Kudos
ZerOgravity
Contributor
So what happens if I have one trading account , I buy and sell sasol 10 times within a year - some at a profit some at loss but overall loss, will i be taxed on the gains without being able to claim any losses? or what if my overall portfolio has been hammered but i made some profits - do I still have to pay tax on the trades that made me money yet my portfolio is down ?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Taxed on the net effect. If you have loss and trading in your own name it is not ring fenced so you can set it off against other income such as salary etc.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
Yes I trade as a cc.Working well for me over the last 10 years.I have a prov fund,my wife is my bookeeper.we do claim losses and various expenses.I also have shares in my own name-this is more of an investment account.It makes sense to me to organise yourself this way as long as you can justify the accountants fees.
0 Kudos