Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tax on Property dividents

Not applicable
Any truth in the "romour" that tax is due on the dividents of property stocks eg Growpoint and Redefine. I thought all dividents were tax free. ??
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
MAGICIAN
Frequent Contributor
They have always been taxable - they are not dividends but interest.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ok thanks... was not aware of thiss .. no wander their DY is so attractive.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
even after tax, they beat most dividends on the stock market, so they are an excellent investment, IMO, just not sexy. Don't expect much on the capital gains side. Interesting enough, is that if you run a low price to net asset value scan, almost all the property stocks come up on the list. Most are trading below their net asset value, probably a symptom of the market not trusting the book value of properties at the moment
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ok Thanks for info . I think I will setlle for Datacentrix or ALTECH then.They also look good ie DY% and EY%.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Magician . so If I hold onto the prop share for 3 years then I pay Capital gains tax of 10 % on the "interest".?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no, interest is taxed at marginal rate, after the tax free portion ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ok Thanks Simon.. by the way .. nice show with Alec H in the evenings .. good content to listen to. When will you be starting your new venture i.e. education "rollout". I've chatted to some investing friends and they are quite keen to look at something like this instead of the more tradional Face to Face classes.
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
It's not about the market not trusting the book value, it's about the share price coming down when the interest rate starts to rise. It works the same as a gilt. The dividend has to remain competitive with the increasing interest rate and the only way it can do that is if the share price goes down. The opposite happens when the rates are falling. Only when the rents of the property start to rise from inflation will the share prices rise.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos