Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Telkom: Does this make sense?

flaffie
Occasional Contributor
We all agree that TKG will drop on Monday. Why does the Combined Forum still advise people to buy (18 May)?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
because the monday fall will be compensated with a cash payout ..
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
i do not yet have a lot of experience with share transactions but i could imagine that : if you buy TKG at current levels of say 60.- then THAT will be your capital base cost. (assuming you did not hold TKG before the unbundling) the special div will be paid and effectively will pay you R19 of "capital" back in the form of tax free dividends. TKG price will drop by an equivalent R 19.- to R 41.- the share price can now recover (TKG performance dependent) by R19 without you having to pay any tax on this "gain". if it does not recover and you sell TKG for R 41.-, you will be able to utilise the effective loss against other investment profits. from my perspective, it makes sense from a tax point of view to have been part of the TKG/VOD story. its not everyday you can collect R19 of capital as a dividend completely tax free. of course the pudding will taste a lot sweeter if both VOD and TKG will continue top perform. what does everyone else say ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hi,what do u guys recommend ,hold telkom or sell before friday
0 Kudos
Schmidt
Occasional Contributor
The R19 divi is already pretty much in the current price. Do some maths and see what you paid. 2009 going into 2010 will be a tough year for most companies, so don't expect a "shoot the lights out" performance, Telkom has been horribly mismanaged, but should now be able to compete with other telecoms operators. If you don't currently hold Telkom shares and you want to take a long term view, I would personally buy after the divi payout, as I think you MIGHT be able to pick up Telkom well below its market value.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For me honestly will wait as Telkom's cash cow i.e is Vodacom is gone, will see how will they try to make that extra cash alone. In paper they say that they will expand to AFrica and so far their Nigerian business made a loss and that puts lot of doubts on their growth capabilities. Will see if they enter into an agreement with a wireless carrier in order to realise their vision of venturing into Africa. The share price should be around R39-41 after the special div of R19, question is will it go up and if yes when. Long term it might look good.
0 Kudos
foschinni
Contributor
Ok we all know Telkom will fall on Monday. Question is, how fast do you think it wil fall. I need to structure a stop loss!!
0 Kudos
J12
Frequent Contributor
I know in theory, a share is supposed to fall by the amount of the dividend payout when the share goes ex-dividend. What I don't understand is that, if you "know" a share is going to drop, why can't you just trade futures or warrants on the share before it drops? (almost sounds like arbitrage).
0 Kudos
foschinni
Contributor
the question still stands, when wil we see the R19 fall? are you implying that by Monday the share will be down by R19?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Probably fall on Monday to around R40. You won't have a chance to sell before. It opens down, same as this Monday. Probably will recover to 50 again quite quickly - that can be your chance. It will end up closing around 45.
0 Kudos
akashmaha
Frequent Contributor
Fell like a bag of potatoes... Hoping that she recovers to 50.00 today.
0 Kudos