Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Telkom

Not applicable
I quite like this comment from Simon Brown: I'm lost for words on Telkom, except today someone said to me could it go below R10 on Twitter, and the answer is: not if, but when.

Wheres that other chap that punted TKG was such a buy @ R 16?
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Nkhweti_Mozambi
Contributor
what actualy is happening to telkom, is it the competition? What are they doing wrong??
0 Kudos
MarkD
Contributor
maybe the question is: what are they doing right?
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Fixed telecoms is out the window...no one goes to sleep at night wishing for a fixed line....so many alternatives, a declining market, disfunctional management....i am actually puzzled at why some people still look at this as an investment...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
What about their mobile unit? I have 8ta 10G for R200. Stable network where the big two can't gaurantee availability
0 Kudos
Not applicable
BC01. DO you work for SBK OST?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Small, are you also a mutation?
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I still say something very strange is going with Telkom. It is not that Telkom does not give worse service than before or even when the share price was up in the R80's. If I pick up my phone it works. My ADSL was down 'n minimum of time during the last few years and even when it was down it was repaired in a jiffy by a friendly competed service man. The website is operational and even the desk service works. So what is wrong. What if a competent management takes over and the share shoots back up to R80 or more? Who is going to sob bitterly?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
New loss making ventures like 8ta, their TV venture and investments in loss making African operations have brought them too their knees. Desperate (poor) attempts to stop the eroding of fixed line customers have cost them dearly.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The consumer does not forget. The bad service I got from telkom about 7 years ago with the non-functional dialup connection and long waiting call centres still ring a bell in my head. I still remember their "tiedieti tidietideti" call waiting song. Just like the consumer realised how NOKIA used to give them half phones and they had to buy the second one for another function.
0 Kudos
Douw
Frequent Contributor
I share your sentiment especially the "tiedieti tidietideti" but fact remains. In 2007, even with the horrible service, the share price was up in the R90's. I did not even have a landline at that time due to the anger I felt towards Telkom, much less invest my money in them. The question however remains. Why is Telkom still there. Is there a sinister power keeping them afloat. The EPS is still positive, the PE not to be sneeszed at and a formidable market cap. Despite embarking on lossy projects nothing has really changed during 2007 to 2013 except disasterous management. Is Telkom on it knees?? If not may there be a lot of money to be made by investing at the right time?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
...?
Why on earth would you think that?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
LOL. The reason I ask is that you are able to type in bold and also create paragraphs on the SBK chat forums. I have been trying this for a while and I have come to terms that my interface is not rich text enabled but yours is?
0 Kudos
HungryPunter
Regular Contributor
TELSCUM.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Remember telkom sold it's soul to Vodafone by unbundling vodacom in 2008/9 period. And ever since then, bad results starting following because vodafone took the backbone as well. It took them a while to realise that fixed line service is stone age and that is why they are mutanting the wireless system again. I hear what some say, but my opinion is that a company can still survive even if there is bad management only if it still has the right product at the right time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am currently Magneto but in a process of being Wolverine
0 Kudos
Not applicable
He is using HTML TAGS
They work like this
0 Kudos
Not applicable
< br > For a line break, insert at end of line and remove spaces.
< b > at beginning of text, and < /b > at end of text, Also remove spaces
:)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hmmm. Lets try
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos