Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Tempting Short - Naspers

Not applicable
Simon you have to agree, If you short npn at the R230 and above levels you are definitely going to make money at some stage, could be today, next wk, next month. Whenever it is, you still going to make a profit. As long as you have the capital structure to cover you if it goes up even to from here even to R300 (just an example) which i dont think will happen.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I understand its more risky than the normal 2% stop loss rule, but i'm happy to short here and hold until I make a decent profit. OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
put your money where your mouth is ally. A strategy like that is bound to succeed, and it was nice knowing you
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I've already put my money where my mouth is. And i'd like you to remind me about this when Im in the green on this trade.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
no chance I agree .. sorry that's not even bad trading, it's pure gambling .. an worst would be if it made a profit .. because then you'd believe the madness ..
0 Kudos
Mr_Money
Regular Contributor
Last NPN trade on Friday was 70 million rand (@17:00) , this trade cleaned out almost all sell orders .there were only 4 sell orders left in the system after this trade. Perhaps someone knows something we dont about NPN?????
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
Simon has it spot on....why are you trying to swim up stream? Naspers is on a consistant uptrend movement.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Because it is just human nature........... [sighs]
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja 'sigh'. Trading counter trend on a strongly moving stock with a leveraged instrument and no stoploss. 'Sigh'
0 Kudos
asylum
Super Contributor
yeah i also shorted at the height of the bull run or what i thought was the high, shorted companies like imp, acl and the likes, there was no way they were going higher, after a 200k + loss i changed my mind, school fees, i now swim with the rest of the sardines.
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
Dont get me wrong..i wasnt sighing for myself there....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Definitely wasn't sighing for myself neither.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Definitely wasn't sighing for myself neither.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
It made sense to me when someone noted that NPN is in never been before territory, so therefore, it would seem that trying to speculate the movements of the stock at this time would be dangerous! i have definately learnt a lot here...i feel for the people that went short at 230! i wouldnt be suprised if we see 300! GO NPN!!! FLY LIKE THE WIND :-)
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Tencent in China went up 8-ish %, partly on the news that it's adding utilities payments to Tenpay. Naspers owns 30+% of Tencent and it's quite a big part of Naspers value now. Tencent P/E...uh, 52, so quite a big growth expectation there.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
No mrS, there are times when bucking the trend works - check out kangaroo tails (Datatec is a good candidate right now, for a kangaroo tail). The point is that if you are going to buck it, then at least know when to get out if you are wrong. Don't try ally's strategy of waiting ad-infinitum. And most important of all - consider your risk reward ratio - because there is no point risking 10k to make 1k if you are going to be wrong even 20% of the time
0 Kudos
Theater_Cat
Super Contributor
Granted, nobody can accurately predict the turning point, but I concur - the PROBABILITY that NPN will continue going up in a straight line is very low. The PROBABILITY that it will pullback seems higher.
0 Kudos
unknown
Contributor
app R265.00 - W formation on 5 year chart
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have not really followed this share but quickly pluging it into my system there is nothing say sell right now. Still strong buy in the charts. Did anyone do a buy on MTX when I said buy at 292? You would be up over 10% in under a week by now.... BTW MTX still in a buy/hold signal.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
hope u read my last notes on MTX share discussion.Note the LME warehouse stocks of copper and still falling see kitco.com
0 Kudos