Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ten bagger search

kwagga
Super Contributor
I'm now officially in search of the next ten bagger.
0 Kudos
95 REPLIES 95
WES
Super Contributor
How about CIL or ILE ?
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
maybe start with which industries have room to grow in?
My guess, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications and health care.
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Are you refering to Imbali (ILE) or you have made a typing error?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ideally, you want a firm whose growth puts it in the top quartile for the market. Four benchmarks here: Firstly, the firm's products must be in demand - look for 25% or more top-line sales growth in the past year. Secondly, those sales must be profitable - you want consistent net profit margins of 10% -15%, along with a return on total capital employed of at least 10% for the past two years. The next step is to look for a decent trend in earnings, not just the share price - a good guide is whether the company achieved earnings per share growth of at least 10% per year and ideally closer to 20% for the last 12 months. Directors should own at least 10% of the share capital.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I dont have one ten bagger - well I might, if I hadn't kept adding to my SPP position. I seem to add to my good shares so chasing my ten-tail a bit. Believe it or not, but at one stage I had a ten bagger on my BDM shares, and then held and held and held and held, until I now hold a negative 3 bagger...ha ha weep weep weep!
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ellies would be one that qualifies. Looking for more.
0 Kudos
Yatagan
Frequent Contributor
How about LHC ? I admit I have not looked at all your requirements though...
0 Kudos
knopkop
Contributor
Kwagga I note your piece starting with"Idealy" With utmost respect selection on that basis could produce very boring results. Tenbagger yes, but when. I have no idea but wonder to what extent a "Lucky packet" is associated with a tenbagger.....ie that is when something good unexpectedly happens, or being at the right place...some event which could not easily have been foreseen, Some business models are mre likely to experience this good fortune than others ie a P&P model works within tight framework. Any thoughts on this conjecturing.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Sure, but all of this is based on chance. You control the element of chance as best you can but at the end of the day... You do not know which shares (companies) will succeed. The nature of these high reward companies (ten-baggers) is that they are high-risk. So you take a spread to control that risk - across companies, sectors, markets. Diversification is the only real tool at your disposal to control risk (and timing for traders.)
0 Kudos
J12
Frequent Contributor
On those conditions it almost sounds easy to find a "ten-bagger". Though, I'm inclined to think that companies with those prospects are already very highly priced (in terms of PE) and thus it would take around 10 years to bag your ten. In my view, a ten-bagger would have to be a failing company that is on the verge of being turned around. Of course, you have to be a special kind of investor to be able to identify that company when it looks like it's going down the drain. In retrospect, it's easy (for e.g. Blue financial which at one time sold as low as 2c) to find those companies. I think the trick is in identifying star management teams that can turn a company around. Also, on a more speculative note, you could go for mining exploration companies which may per chance strike it lucky with a big oil/other precious metal find.
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
A year ago was on the point of buying TAS at 55c, then jumped to 70c within a couple of days, and thought I'll wait for a pullback....... still waiting now 330 ......6x
0 Kudos
WES
Super Contributor
Prevouisly Skinwell
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AND then you have to take a big enough position to make it worthwhile. Would you have put a few hundred thousand into BFS - which was (and maybe still is) junk. You need confidenc in your judgement / abilities. Nothing easy about that game. You also need deep pockets to play properly. This realy is a game for the rich to get richer. For the average Joe, stick to quality!
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Bought a million at 39/40. Sols too early in anticipation of a pullback. Tried to convince mates (including guys in SBK) that this was a sitter. They were all convinced that I was mad. So... again - not easy.
0 Kudos
J12
Frequent Contributor
Nope. I would never have taken a position on BFS. I'm still not equipped to value a financial company properly. And even if I was, I still believe in diversification even though I may have a 'best idea' stock. There is one stock which I am taking a big position in... Oando. Though it's the biggest holding in my portfolio, it still only counts for 20%. If I could get more at a slightly lower price, I would be willing to bet my whole portfolio on it. It may not be a clear cut 10 bagger, but I'm pretty sure it's good to outperform the market.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Rather look for 2 consecutive 5 baggers. 5 consecutive 2 baggers better. 10 one baggers even better.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
i.e. 10 consecutive 1 baggers
0 Kudos