Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Ten year top portfolio

kwagga
Super Contributor
If you owned the following shares over the last 10 years you would've done well for yourself: Billiton Richmont Firstrand Naspers Remgro SABMiller Tigerbrands Shoprite Aspen Massmart Truworths Capitec Woolies Question remains - If you look 10 years ahead, how many of these will still be in the winners circles ?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
partridge
Super Contributor
The real question is :on what basis would you have selected them 10 years ago.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Exceptional management, common sense (Woollies shops popping up everywhere offering something no one else did). Global presence and dominance – SABMiller. Jannie Mouton (PSG) getting involved with companies like Capitec. New markets like China offering great opportunities for companies like Richmont, SABMiller. The list can go on and on. The question is are there such companies and market movers at work at the moment and who are they. Any suggestions ?
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
The list is one thing, the weighting of the listed requirements is another - for example I would rate my common sense as "variable" at best. The backdrop seems to be - inflation or deflation ( leading to confusion for most investors as its either equities or bonds in that scenario.) I think that as you indicated good business models, out of fashion businesses which are being revived, massive barriers to entry, good management and above all sensible valuations are all points to ponder. Africa and South America look to be -from a geographical and economic point of view - growth zones.
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
IMO sense and best perfoming stocks don't always go together. Capitec for example did not make sense 10 years ago and R10,000 invested in 2002 would have made you a millionare today. The best perfoming stocks over 10 years are mostly penny stocks which at the time of purchase are usually risky and senseless stocks
0 Kudos
striker
Super Contributor
- You forgot to include MPC. Up 1920% over last ten years, beating all the other retailers.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
Interesting though Warren Buffet claims his billions came from 10 really good companies (currently I think he owns over 40).
You just have to make sure that you pick some winners, and your winners do better than your losers - same as trading really, just how you pick them differs.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
hindsight is 20/20. What if I mentioned that SASOL (also a very good share to have kept over the past 10 years if you include dividends) was nearly priced for bankruptcy at one point and had a management style equivalent to Telkom today?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Warren Buffet never picked losers....the genius of the man was such that he was able to pick the winners from just looking at the financials....and then set a PRICE. So he did not need an exit.....just TIME
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
not totally true, he admits his worst choices to date was airline companies, the man is not totally infallible.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-GVuuK1-Io
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
Heres a better article: A list of WB's mistakes
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pf_article_108869.html
Dexter shoes: "resulting in a loss to shareholders of $3.5 billion."
Shows you, whether investing or trading, do a good analysis, let the winners ride and keep your losses small. Simple really ...but not easy.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Biggest problem with passenger transportation business is that even if there is one passenger, the tank has to filled with fuel....he may have had a blond moment ?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
This was a speculative position on the oil price. He has had other messes on the speclative sideeg. silver in 2000ish. Point is - (a)don't speculate - (b) you need to see the results of all of his speculative positions before you can assess his performance. ie. you can't condemn him on the results of one position when he may have made a fortune overall across all of his speculative positions over the years.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
my point exactly, overall he had some great winners, some good winners, some small losers. Wasnt critisising him, just saying he has made losses like all of us.

To me it seems the reason he became so rich was because he chose a strategy that he was good in, he let his winners ride (for decades), used compound growth to his advantage, and kept his losses small.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
His biggest mess, according to him, was Berkshire H. itself. It was a defunct textile business in a failing industry. He knew in his gut he should cut his losses and bail out but he couldn't let go - it was his first and worst.
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
so what really is Buffets claim to eternal fame?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and he gave almost all of it away?
0 Kudos