Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The Plunge Protection Team and the NGMs

Not applicable
One of my fav websites (http://goldprice.org/gold-price.html) has a daily commentary on gold and silver. I found the following extract from today's article most informative:

" . . . another reader asked me how the Nice Government Men on the Plunge Protection Team work to manipulate the stock market. Basically, they panic the shorts (those who have sold stock they don't own, betting that the market will drop much more and they can buy back the stock they sold cheaper than they bought it) & create a buying panic.

"Rather than buying stocks, I suspect that the NGM buy futures contracts for stock indices. As the index futures contract rises, watching arbitrageurs see a discrepancy growing between the price of the index futures contract & the underlying stocks, making the stocks appear cheaper than the index. It's a locked-in profit to buy the undervalued stocks and simultaneously sell the overvalued index futures contract.

"As stocks rally, the shorts begin to panic, first puking into their wastebaskets, then rushing to buy & cover their shorts at any price. Then watching bulls see the market rising, & they start buying again. The buying panic has taken hold.

"How do the NGM get out? Simple. After a few days of rising prices, just sell the futures contracts they are long. There's ne'er a fingerprint left.

"This is the same trick that the Fed used in 1987. To suppress gold, they waited until the market closed, then sold platinum futures in the very thin aftermarket. Seeing platinum drop scared off potential gold buyers & gold longs. Again, no fingerprints."

So if you believe it, now you can explain it . . .
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
john_1
Super Contributor
hey! Whats wrong with the good old gov boys in grey suits turning a quick profit like the rest of us.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Jonno....picture this.....late Feb in parly..... Trev giving us a tax break ços the grey boys made a killing in the pits....yeah right, just like B only drinking box wine on Thursdays
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
See now thats the spitit, no need for tax cos the bright boy in grey have figured a fool proof way of making cash on the markets, all they have to do is bet the foriegn reserves that the market wont fall and bobs your uncle.. we all rich.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Check post in Yawn for SOL info.....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
On a More serrious note. Y-man ( the man with a web link to any question) do you remember giving me a link to some guy in the 80's who taught a bunch of people of the street to trade futures. If you do rember can you repost the link I want to re read his money management rules
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Thanks am on to it. Just need my trade triggers to go off.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
turtle traders was the name of the team.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Spot on Simon, your reward a hangover drink prepared by Gravy.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Y-man you are amazing, I dont know quite how you do it.
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
.....yep, thats what they breathlessly say in various tongues!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
. . . commonly known as Goatese. . .
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
0 Kudos