Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The danger of tilting

Not applicable
Poker players refer to tilting as a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy (usually when you experience a bad beat). Now the analogy is very much applicable to trading as well. Today, I missed my entry - emotions and thoughts got the better of me, and I was looking long all the way, missing a blatently obvious short signal. Now experience has tought me that this is when we are most vulnarable to tilting, as I will want to get in on the short ride, hence adopting a less than optimal strategy, attempting to cash in on a move that probably has finished for the session. Best thing to do, is shut the platform down, have a cuppu whatever, and wait for the afternoon action - or whenever your next trading period is (for me, it is tomorrow).
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Rams
Super Contributor
I also missed the short, went in long ,at 29740 missing the divergence on the 10 min stcoch, got stopped out very quickly for 50 ponts at 29690. Now will wait.....also
0 Kudos
Not applicable
seems you went long exactly on top of my short signal - lol - different strokes and all!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Got 490 points so far.Wait for 1347 on sp500.Then wait for engulving candle or any reversal candle to go long on alsi.Target for sp500 is 1364.(=- 300 to 400 points long on alsi).But remember i can be wrong.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, that was the opportunity to short the bounce.... but gap narrowed very quickly, best to stick with the system and not think what the market will do, it can do anything....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
the first problem was looking for a the market to confirm your bias of long..stuff tilting..you better off switching off your computer when you realise you are biased as apposed to ballenced before trading.the market has to tell you what to do.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Agreed, but that is a separate issue. Bias is a killer, no question. I was refering to the danger of trying to trade in an environment where you miss your signals, where you try to get in, because you start to think that you can't afford to miss out on this - hence tilting.
0 Kudos