Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The fundamentals of shorting right now

swordfish
Frequent Contributor
yes but just before they close it out OST sends you a lot of sms,s not a nice experience lol
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It has never happened to me (touch wood), but yes eddie. And your futures will be closed out at the next available price, no matter what it is. So it can hurt, big time. Better to have an exit strategy in place...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
folks, I will say this once & once only. You have to consider risk vs reward. There is no point taking R1000 worth of risk (your stoploss) if you don't have at least R2k's worth of potential reward. R1k reward is not worth it - you might be right 50% of the time, but the spread, comms and holding charges will eat your portfolio. This is trading 101, nothing to do with entry's, charts, predictions, calls, or whatever. Calling a direction is great but worthless. You need to be able to call a direction with a target, and you need to set your money management strategy so that if you hit your target say 20,30 or 40% of the time, you will profit. Be realistic, if you hit target 50% of the time, you are up there with the best in the world
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
haha don't worry about me,i've got enough in the bank,just making sure i understand it correctly!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
How much is enough exactly..Mr market and me love it when oke with egos like your walk in guns blazing..
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
my exposure will never be more than the cash in the bank!
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
you seem to be very wise john.Regarding trading that is.EQ can't be that great if I come across as egotistical.Not my intention at all.I'm just being honest and wanting to learn,gathering information.Please lets not get personal,I would love to learn from you rather than having to defend myself.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Eddy have been here for quite some time, and what you saying is da javu ( all over again ) hope you here next year :-) Take it easy
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
He's not really getting personal, he just has tight underpants. Assume it's meant in a caring way.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Eddie, if there is one thing I have learn't time and again, is don't get phsyched out of a position by forumites. No matter what position you take, there will always always be someone with a counter view. Stick to your strategy no matter what. Advise on actual strategy & money management, however, is always worth listening to
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Eddie, if there is one thing I have learn't time and again, is don't get phsyched out of a position by forumites. No matter what position you take, there will always always be someone with a counter view. Stick to your strategy no matter what. Advise on actual strategy & money management, however, is always worth listening to
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
true that.. if you have a stratergy!!
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
haha Its like picking a crocodiles teeth, sometime he lies back and enjoys it, other times ???? You have a good weekend Eddy see you monday. (I gotta feeling you will be arround for a while) even if you are egotistical !!!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You can have the best strategy & money management system but in you have NO discipline ?? Its worth **** all
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Point 2) should read - rand will have to strengthen considerably
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Point 2) should read - rand will have to strengthen considerably
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nice post .. an people complain that the forum has gone to the pub !!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Which pub will that be Simon? I'm in need of a few drinks...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
radium beer hall or himville arms ..
0 Kudos