Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The holy grail

Salv
Frequent Contributor
I suppose the holy grail in trading/investing is being able to tell when the market is moving from bull to bear and visa versa. obviously there is no big red light that says we are moving fom one to the other, but what i the kinds of things one looks at in order to identify a shift in the trend from bear to bull and visa versa? I would rly apreciate input on this as i have absolutly no idea. THX
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
barry_1
Super Contributor
Have a look at the regression lines on the charts,if the angle for instance is moderating or steepening then u should have a good idea of which way tha market is moving....Remember to shorten the days if u feel a change is coming,but never loose sight of the longer term.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
salv, more simple then that as you won't know until way after .. just trade the trend ..
0 Kudos
JRW
Occasional Contributor
Just remember you don't have to catch the entire move to turn a profit. It's a lot simpler to ride the trend than to try and call the top or bottom!
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
Not sure how complicated the answer should be that you're looking for, but the simple answer is: higher highs and higher lows vs lower lows and lower highs.
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
Ok i get what you guys are saying, what freaks me out is, that dead cat bounce u guys refer to, so u think its all good, things are going up, and then it turn down again. Or do u just counter a dead cat bounce with a good stop loss?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes and difficult i know ,but try to restrain yourself from entering on the first day of up for shares,of course in warrants it depends more if u have anticipated the swing....Ask Nova 'bout that.
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Also know the difference between a Bull/Bear primary trend as opposed to a rising or falling secondary or minor trend. Yonatan reckons knowing the primary trend is the most important piece of info you can have. For example, we are currently in a true bear market, which is different from for example the tech bubble pop, which was a correction. Funny things happen in a true Bear market...
0 Kudos
ian_kotze
Regular Contributor
Ja like the yanks rallying everytime they get shocked by how many people loose their jobs.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Maybe sell on rumour buy on fact? Or maybe they just feel like buying so stand back y'all
0 Kudos
dookie
Regular Contributor
Bear market and all, I've been in some horrible short squeezes. Watching those yanks rally for no apparent reason makes me think of last year when that shopper got trampled to death when the doors opened for a sale!
0 Kudos
venice
Super Contributor
Best way is to look at the weekly charts when they go green and get above the 50 ems then it would indicate a change of momentum and a long position considered. Downward momentum has now slowed and we seem to be consolidating in a range, a break of 16000 (which I think we will test soon) would be a good time to reload on the shorts.
0 Kudos