Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The interest rate decision tomorrow?

Not applicable
Firstly what is the formites consensus and secondly what is the market expecting?
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
nala
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
gareth01
Regular Contributor
def cut tomorrow, just to much negative economic data...maybe a bounce then tomorrow - long banks??
0 Kudos
koos2
Super Contributor
Isn't this rate-cut already price into market?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Recon local news moves the market much? Tomorrow there'll be data on international trade as well as jobless numbers comming out of the states. Which would be a stronger market mover? SA interest rates vs US data; in the event the news has an opposing effect?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it's not about the data .. it is about the level or surprise .. data doesn;t move markets .. surprises move markets ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree. I think we will get a cut and the banks are looking attractive.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I still recon a surprise in the US will overwhelm local markets.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, but it is the surprise .. not the data that matters .. an surprise can be good or bad ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Last time I checked banks make money by lending and a cut in the repo rate is in effect a cut in their margins and since the bad depts are already accounted for through bad dept provisions..this sounds negative banks possitive industrials to me..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
john 2 thorts .. rate cut will help bad debts even more ..
but here's the fun 'margin' number .. a bank borrows at 8% and lends at 10%, 20% mark up .. rates drop 50 points, now they borrow at 7.5% and lend at 9.5% .. mark up now 26% ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So Japanese banks sit at 100%+ markups. They must be filthy rich.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
olilau
Frequent Contributor
WOW, simon. admittedly, never thought about the margin. good one. but i disagree on what moves markets. of course data moves markets, just not in "surprise measures". otherwise by implication, markets are dead unless there is a surprise either way. imho, its like the ocean, calm waters, low swells represent normal data absorption and concomitant market reaction (or adjustment) - add a hurricane, different story.
0 Kudos
kemp
Occasional Contributor
margin improves but profit stays exactly the same 2%
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
And US banks soon to follow. That's where the deflation debate comes in.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
It's the bottom of the cycle. Inflation should start creeping in soon and rates going up. Waste of a move if u ask me .no need to cut tomorrow!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yep, and those bleedin rat bag #$#@$b beep son2%$%#@%34 beeep beeeep are not offering prime minus 2 anymore - so their markup is even bigger! And with property prices on the marginal up again, they will be lending bigger amounts at bigger margins
0 Kudos