Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The overall market

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Mark - I get that part about probablities .. I suppose it is the ego part I was wondering about .. but we had this discussion years back (in a round about way) where I said the aim was to trade with zero emotion, and you disagreed ..

the line is still ego .. wanting to be right is surely as dangerous as that creates expectation .. and then you defend your probability trade with gusto .. which I find odd ..

to me trading is not caring about the market or its direction, only caring that I respond accordingly .. hence I hardly never post my positions because I don't care about them, I only care about how I respond ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon of course i agree but the reality is we are human beings and while we want to remove emotion from the equation as much as possible the reality is that it never can be totally eradicated and the sooner we deal with that reality and get a good understanding of what we are and are not capable of the sooner we can get to the state where our trading is consistently showing a consistently growing equity curve. If you try and become wealthy overnight trading you will fail...if you try and eradicate emotion from your being you will fail. If you identify the harm it can cause and you work towards mitigating it you will succeed.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
And now we get to the real heart of the matter. Chartist's style requires gut feel of sorts, which opens the door for emotion to rule. To do that kind of trading on your own would be very difficult, because you would have to learn to do the opposite of what your emotions are telling you (contrarian style entries). Maybe it is possible for many minds (a forum) to neutralize emotion of the one, and create some kind of emotion based trading system?
0 Kudos
Electrox
Super Contributor
alsitrader, i think i get your agenda here, this is wat makes you tick, starting posts that create emotional debate that fuels your inner need for attention maybe? however if you are chartist, please go back to making free video's that at atleast teach some value to the novice traders out there, cause honestly i have not found any one of your posts here on sbk beneficial to anyone.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
interesting concept but if you think about it thats what the market is in reality...a snap shot of the emotions of a groups of people at any one time. Emotions will get you in to trouble thats for sure but denying that you have any or believing you will not respond to them will also get you into trouble. Thats when you atsrt believing you dont need rules and disciplin. I think what is happening is that people are confusing passion (in particular mine) with emotion. I passionately believe that trading can be the most rewarding existence you can have. I also believe that Charts while they can be hugely unreliable are the only way we can have an edge and i will defend this "belief" when it is challenged.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Now this is turning into an interesting 'thread'. Humans are emotional beings, no argument there. So the question then should be: how do we mitigate the emotions to trade better. Using our brains? Maybe. For me it boils down to some kind of crutch I guess. Technicals, fundamentals, charts, support, resistance, price etc etc I guess are just 'zimmerframes' to get, and keep, the emotions contained. But once we have them contained, how should we go about making the buying and selling decisions?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you will never get rid of all emotion, of course not .. but you can get rid of almost all and that has to be the aim ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
there are loads of free videos on different set ups/how to look for possible reversals/how to trade gaps...even live trades how we show how money is really made etc ....you dont even need to register. http://www.realchartist.com/videos/free-videos.html I will take your advice though...Cheers esteemed contributors like yourself/Rams/Fredsaid/Hennie etc can have the forum all to yourself
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Mark,we still all want to know why you bull*****ted us with your very first post?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Chartist is banned here...I am merely someone who came across him.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Making the buying and selling choice would come down (for me) to the support and resistance and those points to be retested. Removing emotion altogether - forget it, I'm not a buddhist but having control over when you enter and wehen you exit supplies enough calm to make the correct choice.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
mark, tis called straw man .. an I know you don't care .. but you can't honestly expect a reasoned reception here when you insist on playing the game ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If this truly is Mark then he is doing a fantastic service for this online forum because people will leave his in flocks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you will find just the opposite is true. As someone who joined us said "these guys seemed so determined to silence Chartist I just knew there had to be something powerful here" Your actions are doing the exact opposite of what you intend
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Russ, good point, we still dont have an answer about that first post or why ALSI, CPS or Mark or Chartist, came to this BAR!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nobody is trying to silence you .. silence the pretender - sure, take you to task for a very strange re-entry into the forum, well frankly what did you expect ??
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
I am neutral on this but one thing for sure is that the forum has become really interesting since Alsitrader joined us...If you are Mark then welcome back and I am certainly looking forward to learning from you, like I learn from Simon and the other heavyweights on the forum.
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
Mark / Chartist / Alsitrader - I used to find your posts interesting when you used to be on the forum as Chartist. I respected your views and opinions and still do, however the fact is - you havent changed much and seem so set on being controversial. Helpful or not, I still dont understand why you had to peddle your own site and forum here. People have a choice to use the information you provide or not. Please dont force it upon anyone. Thats why everyone is so upset.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
oh come on Simon now you quite simply are a liar...if you believe as you seem to that I am Chartist you have attempted to in the past. I would say banning is a fairly conclusive demonstration of this. Chartist is to this day banned - reason given - for using the word testicles.
0 Kudos