Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The real problem with Armagedon

Not applicable
Is that a)it is happening at R8 to the dollar b) it is very inconveniently not spreading into emerging markets and c) OST has no spell check - armaggedon(?), armiggidon? armaggeddon?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
just use 'end of the world' .. easy to spell .. an this Rand rush is nothing new, saw it in 86, 94, 98, 01, 08 ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yip, I remember a mate of mine with a R1m consignment of goods on its way, that he did not have forward cover on. He lost his entire year's profits on a rand $ spike of R14 to the $ in 2008.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I was in Mozambique in 98 and the black market and traders were refusing to chandge ZAR ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Armageddin on with my life.Geddit?
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
The rand will come back. May take a while but the world central bankers and govs will "do" something. Long term it will be inflationary but in the mean time it will be good for equities. So best you have some cash for the coming "intervention" Oh and having some gold and silver (yes simon you know you have that 1oz ;) ) wont hurt
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Armagiddyon (One Love) Bob Marley.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Speaking of Bob Marley,I wonder what Virilius Imperator is up to?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oi .. forgot about my oz .. I'm rich :))
0 Kudos
FTR
New Contributor
Perhaps owning the Ozzie dollar will beat gold! RSA's peritant falling rand may be related to the OECD. Four months ago, the OECD listed RSA as a full member with some issues. Today RSA is no longer listed as a member but instead as a country the OECD is engaged with (whatever that pregnant clause means). So when did we fall out of the Finannicial Action Task Force and the OECD. If the sinking rand marked the expulsion it was probably two weeks ago. Does this mean we can s***** FICA. For every one terrorist, I bet there are 10000 attempted tax evaders.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
he must be smoking something and must be high on todays low....
0 Kudos