Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The truth about technical trading?

eddy66
Super Contributor
I'm not gonna start a debate about the topic.All I will say is that OST's team got it way wrong.Their entry at 262 on AGL with a stop of 5% would've triggered at 248. So what is the value of tech analysis...
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
One trade stopping out is not enough to declare TA useless, just like one trade making a spectacular profit is not enough to declare TA a miracle get-rich-quick scheme. The idea is to try to limit the losers to around half of your trades, then if you lose 5% on each of those you should be in the black if you make more than 5% on the winners.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Its a numbers game - making sure that your winning trades are bigger and more frequent (all though this is not a prerequisite) than your losers
0 Kudos
Not applicable
for example, i am losing money on aspen, but the loss is small and it is more than compensated by the money I am making on aveng and naspers.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
I asked what the value is,never said it was useless! Of course there will be times where you make 20% following tech analysis. What's the value lets say compared to just identifying a trend and let it be your friend?
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
um, identifying and trading the trend? Thats technical analysis dude.
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
Um,someone not knowing anything about tech can identify a trend,dude.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Bought APN installment that will expire next year July 2010 (i think). Not to concerned about APN for now. Good share, excellent company.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I seriously doubt it eddie. Virtually every share on the jse is trending right now, which one are you going to pick? Where you going to set your stops? when you going to enter? how big is your position size going to be? These are all question that any technical analyst / trader would first answer before getting in. However, if you are asking me if I put any faith in things like RSI, stochastics, MACD, etc. My personal answer is no, i use candles, price and moving averages. But that is just me, these instruments were invented by some of hte best traders in the world.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
my time frames are shorter on APN. got my entry wrong on this one
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
Thanks skaap,I appreciate your reply.I agree with your answer.How long should a share and/or index move in a certain direction for a trend to be identified? According to tech analysis?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OST got it way wrong, even there exxaro trade.. those who base their trades on those tips are gettin hurt ryt nw, and badly..
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Hi guys - I have found that the market does the opposite of what the OST team tips - on numerous occasions in the past. One has to use one's own judgement as well and judge the sentiment in the market. I could have made money trading counter to the OST tips.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Agreed, but you could also have been in the money! OST (I think) use a confirmed strategy that works (for them) I have used some of there tips in the past KIO, ACL. on AGL my system was in a buy 3 days earlier so I was already in the market. (remember overbought is not a sell signal until it crosses the 80%. But yeah EXX ow
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
I don't go long after a gap up, both recommendations were on a gap up. Now is the time to buy into both as the gap has closed IMO
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
oh eddie, eddie .. one swallow does nothin gmake .. check the track record for the TA ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
How long is a piece of string? Different systems will try to catch trends at different stages of development. Suggest you read entries and exits - look at the book review thread for more details to see how traders manage their strategies. One thing I absolutely must stess, your entry is such a small part of your trading, that you should only focus 10% of your time on it. When to take profits is by far the most important consideration in a trade (assuming you have mastered the stoploss basics)
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
err, is that backed by facts - or feeling ?? because the last list I saw from Mox suggests otherwise ..
0 Kudos