Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The value, of value investing

Not applicable
Despite all the carnage, my total portfolio purchases for hte year are only down 4,5%. And the dividends I have earned so far compensate fully for that.Things would be looking a lot rosier if it wasn't for my more risky holdings - Pallinghurst and Sentula. I definitely plan to dump them on the next upturn, or cut my losses at 20%.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
suki
Super Contributor
Pallinghurs was more disappointing for me. just like metorex.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
well done...what I would love to do on Werners site.. is to "trade/invest" 5 statergies side by side for a year or two and see the results..
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
We all are bruising with Pallinghurst. The rest as you say makes up for it. Still trading well below NAV though!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Surely if you bought PGL for value investing purposes then timewise its far too short to call at the moment - lets wait a couple of years. They have only been listed a short while. I'll hold mine for a while still, and maybe add a bit more later. Am happy to give Gilbertson a chance. Maybe it'll be my 20-bagger in 10 years time and I'm happy with that. At the moment it only makes up about 2% of my portfolio so am happy to give it a chance. Even MTX went up from around 400 to 3200 in three years when times were good, but I dont think I'll buy more of those yet.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Warhippo, I would caution on thinking that Pallinghurst is trading below NAV - that is the point about investment holding companies, they are supposed to offer a discount to the underlying basket. The risk with an NAV evaluation, is that the assets are listed shares themselves, so the NAV doesn't mean much - especially since we don't actually know what the tangeable assets of the underlying companies are. However, at least 100c a share is in cash right now, and your listed stock exposure is only 25% of the Pallinghurst NAV. What sucks, is that we have almost no information on the financial status of Faberge, which on its own accounts for 25% of the investment portfolio. Is it heavily geared, cash positive, making money, ???
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
I am not thinking it is trading below NAV. Standard Bank Equity Research to-day came out with a number of R5.31 as NAV which makes me smile as in happy. Point is: not my favorite share, I like Brian, I Like cash, have a couple and not a minute of sleep lost.
0 Kudos