Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

The wisdom of enough

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
In his book Enough: True Measures of Money, Business and Life, author John C Bogle writes of a party given by a billionaire on Shelter Island. Kurt Vonnegut informs his pal, Joseph Heller, that their host, a hedge fund manager, had made more money in a single day than Heller had earned from his wildly popular novel Catch-22 in its whole history. Heller responded: "Yes, but I have something he will never have . enough."

http://www.mg.co.za/article/2010-10-11-the-wisdom-of-enough
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
the_stig
Occasional Contributor
GBP 113,000,000.....thats enough - Thank Q!.......good article, love the one your with (Andre, Tiger, Wayne, Joost......)
0 Kudos
YNWA
Super Contributor
Brilliant Simon...I always thought that one should be content with catching 60% of a stocks run....60% of 100% is good money and is enough.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
And the wine, is it ever enough :"For example, if you like fine wine and you buy three bottles, rather than one, consider this -- if someone gave you a bottle of wine as a gift, would you say, 'What? Only one bottle?' You would have to be extremely churlish and ungrateful to say that to someone else, so why do you feel you have to overdo the spending when you give to yourself?"
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I think the "enough" feeling is possible from a cash flow perspective rather than capital....if you you spend 100k a month and you are recieving 500k its easy to feel like I have more than enough...but if your are 40 and you have Xmillion in the bank and no other income... how much do you need to die with an improved life style...not an easy answer for me!
0 Kudos