Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Think it.

Not applicable
The Zarp-strategy of 2012.Why ALSI...when you can GLDfcd ? I mean,come on...13.xx GEARING ! The ALSI wishes to get past 10x...and Hello !...Almost R30 000 for 1 contract.Nah...I'll GLD it.40% more for my Buck.Have a mighty 2012...All.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Not applicable
typo...GLDcfd...cfd...dammit!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Wellcome back VI and a Prosperous New Year!
0 Kudos
LTC
Contributor
Would rather buy SABcfd
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Careful. IN the short term you could see ZARUSD go from 8:1 to 7:1 which would bite your GLD profits. That said I am long the Gold Commod contract but less than I would usually be. Currently using my global trader to trade the gold and silver price in dollars to eliminate currency risk. Long silver 26.00 early jan ... aaahhhh 1US cent = R10 x a few contracts .. happyness to date with trailing stops. If only tradng were always so rewarding
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
how do you eliminate currency risk ?? sooner or later it comes back to Rands ?? Unless you long gold/silver and short Rand ..
0 Kudos
G_V_V
Super Contributor
It's the risk that counts.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It's the Risk.You said it.###And then we...Position-size.A simple 4000 bought at R126,sold at R138 gives one at least 5000 points.R50 000,Dudes.How much in?>>>not even a R40k outlay.Yeah...I like that.Compared to all the stress of handling ALSI volatility.I played ALSI from Mar2011 to Dec.It was profitable....BUT...I also have a few more grey hairs.And a healthy respect for our TOP 40 Futures Puppy.>>CUJO !....best of.See you on the other side.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
you goin thru a phase?... you will come back to the ALSI futures...once an ALSI futures trader, always an ALSI futures trader
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
@simon. GT allows me to trade on the spread platform as a rand client but prices are quoted in dollars. so if the silver contract is trading at 30.000 USD and it goes to 31.000 I make 1000 pips X my contract size. But in RANDS. With the silver futures
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
OK, I see what you are saying .. no idea how they do it, they have effectively removed curreny risk which is surely a feat akin to alchemy ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
They mark to market every day back into local currency. Lots and lots and lots of lovely costs, since they get to set the spread (shaded) and the exchange rate (probably undisclosed). The really cool part, is the trick that they are pulling to get the reserve bank off their backs. That is also probably undisclosed.
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
Its magic. Its also why I keep less than 10% of my trading capital with them the balance as there is voodoo magic going on. As for the spread ... its high. its between 10 and 12 US cents. So its fine if you trading R1-5 a pip more than that when you work out your brokerage you getting Ra**d.
0 Kudos