Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Third Discussion of the Installment Club for September and October

barry_1
Super Contributor
Yes a good choice,i hold the actual units in the loan stock,but it should be in a different time frame ,one would have to hold almost permanently as it pays interest every three months....Mind you Redefine is just out of the top forty index and some other indexes as well,now if it were to qualify say within the next three months then many funds holding that mandate would have to buy it....Another forumite thinks that fund managers have already climbed in.WELL ITS NOT THE CASE as their mandates only allow them to purchase once the unit qualifies so then the price will definitely then climb.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
While on this subject of property loan stock,u might find interesting an actul property loanstock units thats price is climbing almost every day.Its VUKILE,in which Santam owns 22%,do your own home work as to why.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Hi barry, i just registered for the website, looks great...I got burnt big time with warrants when i first started having a portfolio, mainly also by the costs (i didnt have mega bucks to start off with)...forumites (specifically chartist) used to state that cosa the costs, and breakeven problems etc they would only recommend investing in warrants with abt 10k. they said this way you would be able to realise proper gains or sumthing along the lines of that...now my question is, with regards to instalments, for us folk who dont have mega bucks to start off with, is it worth while investing in warrants, with say about 2k? and would dollar cost averaging be a good idea with warrants? if you can provide a basic figure that you would recommend as a minimum for investment that would be great, so that i dont waste my time and money trying to breakeven. Thanks
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
First Mr S thanks for registering.You know for every persons circumstances are different,how DARE any one say how much you need to make a success of shares and installments for that matter.First i must tell you that ,i have never gone into warrants as such in a big way mainly because i don't trust this method of ever making a profit.I really regret ever having touched them at all! AnywAy thas water under the bridge.When i started with shares i had only 10,000 Stanpro at R2 property units to start with,1000 Nedbank at R6 each and 500 IMP at R10 ea and 1000 AMS at i think R30 each.I guess i was lucky for all i did was hold for ten years ,lived off my interest income and part mortgage bonds then receiving 17% interest but only R300,000 in them and bingo there was an explosion in the price of platinum taking AMS to R500 per share and Nedbank to R165 at which time i sold! Installments are exactly like shares except do badly when the market is falling THAT IS WHY U MUST ALWAYS ONLY HOLD THOSE WHEN THE INDIVIDUAL REGRESSION LINE IS UP,u make more than shares,but do read up upon INSTALLMENTS UNDER help and education.Regards barry gerard bevian!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
R2k is too small for a trade .. even on a warrnt/instalment at R50 brokerage + costs you're lookign at some 7% costs .. ten you got spreads to cross potnetially another 5% ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have seen you mention this several times: THAT IS WHY U MUST ALWAYS ONLY HOLD THOSE WHEN THE INDIVIDUAL REGRESSION LINE IS UP I have googled this but I think I'm off track. What "regression line" are you talking about?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
First thanks for registering on the site.At the moment i cannot read any comments that were made as there seems trouble with the website,since their update on Sunday....As far as the regression line goes,go to charts and then press regression line(bit of a misnomer) as perhaps when its increasing they should call it the progression line!....Especially useful in installments as being over a longer period one does not sell and buy back all te time being held....If the regression line slopes down ,u might end up with a "busted warrant"....Ask Simon about that,he explains it so well!....Also remember to look at the three year period,which give u a good idea of past performance....I explained this fully on the Third Discussion on the website....For those that are interested the address is www.barryvision.webs.com and then go to page 3 Archive.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wish I could see what you see. I'm not sure that I am even looking at the right chart! I go to the page that shows all the SI's and then under tools I click on C=Charts. I then click on the show 1 year history button and the show/hide linear regression button. Is that right? Why don't I see the whole year? I still see the daily graph. What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
From live price lets say u open Remgro When you have opened up a share,lets say on live prices,go to the LEFT HAND TOP CORNER,that says tools and links,then click on CHARTS....NOT THE GRAPHS THAT APPEAR ON THAT PAGE....hope u have JAVA,then download the chart.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I see u have reached that point,now look at the TOP bar towards the left of the screen AND U WILL SEE A SMALL REGRESSION BUTTON. U can change the period with the buttons as inthe middle of the row u have 1 year,3year and 5 year and longer which is totally meaningless! Ask again if not there yet.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
I THINK I NOW SEE YOUR PROBLEM,THOSE BOXES ARE YEARS NOT MONTHS.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I wish you could cut and paste a screenshot. The left most button = Open Settings Menu Then Show hide volume Then a button that does nothing - greayed out Then stats 1, stats 2, 1 year, 3year, 5 year Show /Hide linear regression button is directly in the middel next to TRI. Why does it feel that you are seeing a different graph than me or a different version?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
There two different versions,if its in your portfolio then what you have been saying is correct as to the placings of the buttons,but if you place on quick share then it is as i say.I always place it on quickshare as then the screen is bigger and easier to read.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Any one else please feel free to jump in here!
0 Kudos