Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

This forum's

Brazen
Super Contributor
like a morgue. I know BABYBOY's been taken out but where is everybody else?
0 Kudos
58 REPLIES 58
SKALA
Super Contributor
Ek is nog hier, maar bly stil vir eers. Watching my EXX, KIO, SOL, SPP, ELD and others,contemplating to add to ELD, KIO, MVG now or later.
0 Kudos
Ditzy
Frequent Contributor
Howzit Brazen ! Just popped in to see how the shares are doing. Been really busy with the harem and biz and have realised that i actually make more money when I leave'em shares alone ! (of course, easy to do in this never ending bull) It's time for me to start looking at those with possible interim divi's so I'm snooping around. Also checking out what's happening in the warrants front. Any easy money out there, besides the russian bride biz?
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Hiya Ditz! Sadly, I don't see much easy money at the moment. I have quite a high percentage in cash right now. Some futures on SOL and GFI and went into instalments on IPL and BVT last week - looking to hold these two for at least six months. And, you're right, if you pick good companies, the less you tinker around the better! Glad the biz is going well, harems come and go but good business skills are 4ever!
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
hi B.. tried my hand day-trading ALSI.. some success, some losses. Overall, the swings are a bit fast and crazy, and the index lacks clear direction at the moment. Seeing the 500pt drop last week in the space of an hour scared the cr@p out of me. That's -R5000 per mini-contract. Too hectic. Anyway, holding GFI (CFD, geared about 10:1.. currently green), and holding PSG and ZED shares, also in the green. Holding for the medium-term on the shares. Keeping one eye on MTN for a long, but looks like I may have missed my entry today already. See what happens this afternoon.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Interesting T. I wonder how many people really make money out of day trading? Would be great to have some stats. I'm trying an experiment with the index. Put 3k into a long wave and am trading it without stops. I want to see if just holding for a month, or even longer, and riding the primary trend works. I was finding stops were forever taking me out with the volatility resulting in many, many small losses. And then never being in when those big moves came. If it works maybe the way to go would be to put in an amount you can live with losing and just leaving it until your profit is worth taking.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I am doing the same thing Brazen, Do you remember that first time I traded waves with you around some big fed rate decision. I bought it at R2 and it expired at about R12 while all the put have expired worthless. My thinking is this.. I know I can out trade some of the time but if this market gets really over heated and it will 'cos ALL bulls do. Then there is no way to out trade an irrational market but with a nice geared wave I can Profit from that move.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
My guess is that the dabblers lose, but the full-time traders make good money. I think one of the key elements to successful daytrading (apart from a system that works, lighning fast reflexes etc) is keeping your trading costs down as low as possible. The best spread I can get on ALSI is 17pts through my CFD guys, while the traders using cheap futures platforms are only spending 1pt/contract/trade, +spread (anything from <5 to ~30 points). Means on a good day they can get in and out again for around 12 points, vs minimum of 32pts for me. Just tips the odd further against you. Also, I wouldn't like to try any trend-following techniques right now - you are likely to keep getting whip-sawed and finding yourself on the wrong side of the swings.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
T it'd be great if you could keep updating on how it's working. It'd be really interesting to see 6month or a year results. Getting it down would be fab, you'd never have to work again.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Welcome back Ditzy. Agee with your analogy that less trading = more profit. That however is no reason for leaving this forum high and dry. The girl's on this forum add a different dimension/perspective to this forum, so keep posting.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
What! You dont already, apart from being mom that is. and for that if you get a system that works please let us all know!
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
My system for that involves a cupboard, a key and a gag. But you can get in a lot of trouble if you're caught. And they can write best selling books about you when they're big.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hi Ditzy, Im sure its not shares you'd normally look at but ISAs results should be out today and they usually pay a healthy div. and on the warrants front Ive got my eye on SAB warrants... Me thinks she should start to kick any time now. p.s. welcome back.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
I don't really want to become a day-trader.. I'd prefer hold shares for months/years and to swing-trade contracts - holding them for a few days to a few weeks.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
sigh, yes the paint has almost dried today.
at the mo i'm still in AMS, IMP, GFI, SOL and MTN. MTN i jumped into too soon, so today is only bringing some welcome relief. GFI is a very short term one entered Friday, but not looking too good today ey. and still very skittish over GFI since my lashing a month back. plats looking quite undecided this past week...
0 Kudos
Ditzy
Frequent Contributor
Hi guys and thanks for all the tips ! I have missed you all and will try to post more frequently... it's just that I have not done research for a while and don't have much to say ( not that that has stopped me before, huh?). I am still pretty much of the view that with all the infrastructure spend, PPC and MLA are (genius, huh?)easy picks. Also sitting with quite a bit of cash since late last year, still looking at putting it on real estate...it's burning my pockets now.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
What happend to Babybrat? Also...Ditzy its not your share reserch we interested in( although I sure it good). Its your research into the behaviour of males kept in captivity that we want to hear about.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
GFI still looks ok to me... bounced off resistance at the 38.2 fib line, but I think we will see buyers come in here. I'm expecting 12150 to hold. I'm out on a close below 11700.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Hi Tango It sounds like you are really starting to get going again which is great to see but...why so serrious about it.. its only money!
0 Kudos
trigger
Frequent Contributor
BB is probably off trying to find a nappy that can sustain his load!!
0 Kudos