Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

This market is having a laugh at me.

john_1
Super Contributor
Every day I have time to watch the market it does nothin and as I turn my back it moves day after day. I sit waiting for a trigger all afternoon and as I have to leave for a meeting the thing moves.
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
Not applicable
Cool...can you let me know when you are going to leave your desk then.
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
I hear ya! We must be in the same meetings!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Lesson is, don't do meetings, dude. They always serve bad coffee and cr@p sarmies during the break - bad for yer health.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
So john, are you calling the market the same thing you called SOL recently? That time you got into BIG TROUBLE?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No B, if I was calling this market I would use words like " come here you f##@## or B@#$#TED" I am just sitting learning and reviewing the stratergy, I cant watch the market all day nor do I want to. Talking to the forum is fun but the sun is shining outside if you know what I mean. I have spent the night looking at time frames and realized that I have an edge I just have to be much more patient. And its been a long time since I called Sasol anything but "you sweet little carbon spewing, cash cow ,darling, sweetie"
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
the word rollercoater comes to mind. however i alway find myself at the top of it going down.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Duke the problem sounds to me like your mental image...the best place to be on a roller coaster is on the top heading down. So guess were you find yourself. Either you have to enter as a short and enjoy the ride or change your mental image.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
John, that's ultimately it. Design a trading strategy that fits in with the life you want to live, rather then the other way round.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Simon do you remember that chat we had a while back about making 50K a month trading the topi, you had thought it through I think at about 100 points a day. remind me if you remember please.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, a 100 points a day = R1k per day and at 20 days a month = R20k. So to ramp it to R50k, just trade 3 contracts a time. Or work it the other way, aim for 50 points per day = R500/day = R10k/month. So trade 5 contracts a time and aim for 50 points per day.

Writing it here is as easy as pie, doing it a bunch more tricky. Further it depends on the system you trade, if it requires you to be desk bound (and certainly day trading does require being chained to your desk), then no freedom, etc.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
sorry john, i don't think you understood me correctly. the last couple of deals i've made went south a little, and had to wait for a recovery or flog them at a slight loss looking for the next big one. no half decent gainers for me this last 6 weeks. any how sitting it out with imuniti to see what it is going to do. looking optimistic
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
You remember that PUT I was crying about ? Well, I still sit on it and it looks like I am actually gonna make money from it !
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
you have been very lucky a few times CE =, I think you should review your exit statergy.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Wise words Johny boy, very wise. Realy something I must work on and stick to.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
Oh boy, who anticipated this to happen this morning ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, exit strategy is more important then entry. For entry and dart and a coin will work; exit needs more thinking and discipline.
0 Kudos
CE
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Pleiades
Frequent Contributor
John, have you tried IDS? (In-House Daylight Saving). Simply set your watch forward two hours so that you're still at the screen to catch the moves. You'll miss the meeting but what the heck, you might make enough bucks to eventually not worry about them? Seriously though, I think your comment is indicative of the market. So many shares are now fully valued or have had a superb run and are consolidating. In the recent bull run it's been relatively simple choosing winners by using little more than a dartboard. It will take a bit more skill now to identify shares that offer value at this point.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Dude I think I should just give up work!
0 Kudos