Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

This seems retardard. Please tell me Im being stupid

PaulC
Super Contributor
Im short the gold comodity future. I want to go long the WTI oil future. I got this message from OST You can not place the order to Buy 1 WTIO Dec-11 contract because you are already short this contract in a different expiry month (GOLD Oct-11) They are 2 totally different comodities. Can anyone explain why I cant so this. Hell with my global trader I can be long and short the SAME instrument AT the same time! - Paul C
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well long and short the same instrument is just doff, only person making money there is the broker .. in this case (AU/WTI) would be a bug neh ?? just maybe ??
0 Kudos
PaulC
Super Contributor
I have emailed the call centre. Seems a bug. Regarding your other comment. Ive been long gold and short at the same time on GT. I was expecting a pullback but my long term view was up. I didnt want to risk closing the long (which was considerably bigger than my short) and then be wrong and miss the move. I did however expect short term weakness. I made the play with a tight stop on the short. As it turned out I only just made money on the short and the long went on to be a winner. Guess its not common but I feel it has its uses. That said I dont expect OST to offer this. But different instruments ... Yeah hopefully a bug
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
email will take time to reply .. if urgent call them ..
ya OK so you came out ahead of the long/short .. but I still think it a brokers yatch type of trade .. if you long for long term who cares about some pull backs ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Im greedy. I like to take many opportunities :) But yeah I see your point. Not urgent. They are generally good at getting back to me
0 Kudos