Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Those Blasted Boom Gates

HateGauteng
Super Contributor
When I leave the office this afternoon, I'll be exiting through a boom gate. When I leave the office megacomplex I'll be exiting through a boom gate. My favourite pub is 1.5kms away and I'll be entering through a boom gate. Each one has at least two people manning it 24/7. Why is labour being used so unproductively? Why is crime shaping our lifestyle? What happens when the real collapse comes and all of this unwinds? Am I the only one bothered by the boom gate mentality???
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
zudy
Contributor
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Moving permanently to KZN this weekend. Unemployed but will take my chances as a day trader.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Yea my heart pumps for you poor guys. We have a similar thing, Big damm gates with no guards and no bells, so it is a hoot and wait game. When it is -35 you run very thin on patience... then you have a wierd fantasy that maybe it getting better in the old states. but alas you always pick up threads like this.
0 Kudos
eddy66
Super Contributor
You know what's more annoying? People washing your windscreen at the tfaffic light without you asking and when it's spotless.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
that's where Killroy swings into action...my sjambok...
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
After been hassled at all those gates giving phone and ID numbers then there's those car guards in Hatfield. Jump right out in front of you - an extra dimension to watch for when driving, parking and exiting. I planned my life and havn't bred any extraneous people, why should their existence be my concern???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Those car guards can be annoying yes, but only yesterday a 'criminal' tried to break into my BMW, he completly destroyed the door handle and driven a screwdriver in the keyhole with a brick. The guard noticed the racket and screamed.. wich made the criminal run. that guard probably saved my car! Ive gained a bit of respect for them after yesterday, and i will probably pay the odd R5 from now
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Was this in Hatfield? I know people who've been robbed by car guard imposters. Now do I want someone to risk their live for my car . . . no . . . That crminal is probably going to come back and make that car guard his ***** or worse!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It was at a church in Krugersdorp, i dont think the guard had secondary motives..
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
I've been good all my life and didn't breed any carguards or criminals, now why am I caught in the middle. It's like paying protection money. Either pay somehow for a guard or lose it to a criminal and sometimes both!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Cape town? have you noticed that we line the streets with 'glitter' here, spaced about every cars length.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
LoL democracy has its price! pay for car guards then the govi steal the rest
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Things are relative. Read "Pol Pot. An anatomy of Terror". That has made me realise that bad things can happen in countries and for people who are not expecting it very quickly. This is not to say that we dont all deserve the good life here. But thats why I live, and like living, in a small dorpie in the Eastern Cape. Minimal serious crime, and maybe a bit pf petty crime now and them. I feel safe every evening, and although I did run home a couple of nights ago, pissed, it may have been beer delusions. I guess I am trying to say is that if you feel unsafe in Joberg move somewhere else. If you feel unsafe in South Africa, New Zealand aint bad. As soon as I feel that I have to move, I will. I certainly am not Rambo and dont ever aim to be a martyr, even though I love South Africa.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey Blik, uhlalaphi kwe-EC, swaar?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Rearrange the letters of gauteng and you have "get a gun".he he!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Been thinking about abandoning all my priciples and qualifications; digging up my AK47 and shooting back or strapping on explosives and paying a few people a visit (got anyone in mind?).
0 Kudos