Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Threatening calls from a private number!

Mr_S
Super Contributor
I dont know what to do as i cant trace this person, the last call was this afternoon and im thinking of going to open a case at the police station tomorrow - in fact im just gonna do it!! The calls stem from the fact that some people dont like the fact that im with my current girlfriend, cos they all tried and failed! im taking this very seriously, and i want to know what else i can do to trace this idiot! its affecting my life now! i need to take some serious action! but have no clue what my options are...pls help
0 Kudos
33 REPLIES 33
Not applicable
Phone your service provider support center and explain the situation. Don't talk to a lacky at the call center. Insist on talking to a senior manager etc. You might need a police case number (difficult to get as you dont have an idea who it is and opening a case about "nothing concrete" could be seen as a mere false docet opening).
Even though the number is blocked to your phone the service provider network has a record of the caller ID. DON'T LET THEM TELL YOU OTHERWISE!!! (New interception of all cellular calls for criminal investigation and suspicious acts law been passed). It just takes some person at the service provider with a willingness to actually stop chewing doughnuts and coffee and get their computer skills and records opened. They can do it but it takes a little convincing and not backing down from your side.
Else change your number if you really feel it the best thing to do, more a frustration on you but effective.
Don't answer private numbers and change your voicemail to state that you absolutely do not answer private numbers. Forces them to leave a voicemail and you have their voice and proof of threats for police case. Or they just give up calling cause it costs them time and effort for you not answering your phone.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
thanks man, i really appreciate it! some people are just idiots!
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
I just called the USELESS bladi vodacom customer care centre, spoke to the senior manager, he tells me that they cant trace private numbers yet, untill this law is passed by government. So i told him BullS%@t!! then he says i must then open a case at the police station whereby the person in charge of my case wud have to contact the risk department and they might find a solution...I FIND IT DAMN HARD TO BELEIVE THAT THEY CANT TRACE ANY CALLS THAT COME THROUGH PRIVATE NUMBERS! YEA RITE!! i bet if i had to threaten the president with a private numba, police wud be at my door in 30 min! im taking this further!
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Try convince a magistrate to supply an interdict to record and trace every call made to your phone. It's the only way to find the cullprit. Remember your right to dignity is protected under human rights law! An inderdict is acourt order both police and vodacom have to cooperate! Good luck.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
how do i do that? do i just go to a nearby court and ask around for sumone who can assist me with that?
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
There is only one judge in the country thats allowed to issue a phone tap order at the moment Balie Swart. If you have symbian phone most new nokia' phones download a call recorder program like call recorder pro (R20). Once on the phone with your new friend tell him that the call and any future calls are being recorded and that by continuing the conversation it is construed as his express permission for recording the conversation.In sa its illegal to record if you dont inform the other party and he doesnt approve. Tacit approval is also seen as approval. If he makes violent threats against you or your family that you reasonably believe will be carried out you have can open a case of assault for starters. Can possibly be used in an interdict situation. At least you have a voiceprint (as unique as a fingerprint)of the man and proof of the threats made which suddenly makes it the best interests of your friend that nothing actually happens to you. Keep a email copy of the converstion on an external account like gmail. Dont construe the above as legal advice. If nessecary get legal advice from an attorney.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Tell the dude you've instructed your service provider to give you a trace to get his address to sue him. Even though you don't have it yet, he might get enough of a fright to let up.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Had this problem a while back, the phone number actually came up but it was from a public phone. The police said they couldn't do anything because the caller could not be identified. I just took a walk around the area and dialled the number trying to see which phone it came from. No luck but the calls stopped.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
you could also just ask your girlfriend because if the oke is pissed off she knows who it is and I bet he is phoning her...if she denies it dump her.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
hes been calling her yes, shes told me abt the fone calls, but she changed her number and they stopped, the i started getting the calls!. The thing is, she has no clue who this person is, and she wants to be there if and when i meet this person to see who it is thats causing trouble. she also wants to answer the fone the next time he decides to call, and tell him Sh@t.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
dump her she is lying... she went through all the trouble of changing her number.. she knows the oke.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Story does not add up, how can she answer the phone when he calls again if she changed her number and she does not know who it is? Where would the bloke get her new number from? Unless...
0 Kudos
bangbul
Regular Contributor
Yes , but it would help if you could record some of the calls on your phone, or if know a magistrate or someone in justice depmt.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
lol no i was misunderstood. she wants to answer my fone when he calls me again, he hasnt called her on her new number. Look, i definately had my doubts, but then she seems very upset abt these calls too, when it looked as if i was ready to end the relationship, her mother called me, tellin me that these ppl just want to break us up cos they jelus that i have her and they cudnt get her!...its so stupid!, the one time, the guy threatened to come to my house (hes a stalker for real cos how does he know where i live???) anyway, i said he must come, NEVER PITCHED! the girlfriend was here on the day too, waiting for him. After some thought, you might see that she MIGHT actually be innocent in this whole thing, but if shes not, im gone, trust me, she knows that! i told her that once before
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
good idea, just waiting for the next call!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
DUDE EVEN THE MOTHER IN LAW TO BE KNOWS WHO IT IS...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Hey Mrs S sure its not the M in law ??? Maybe she wants your meat :-)
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
He's jeleous he can't have her - and is threatening you, and she doesn't know who it is - so then, if he never had a relationship with her, then what makes him think he can have her even with you out the picture - is she like Miss South Africa or a stripper or something? Or she's had so many guys that she's not sure which one it is .... do you really want to take that kind of girl seriously.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
lol john u take no nonsence hey?? im sure u were quite the heart breaker in yr day!
0 Kudos