Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Thyme to short

doomsdayza
Super Contributor
not sure about that, but you could neutralise interest (views fitting) by shorting 1.461 times more than you long.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Yip, quite a rush to trade TOPDWJ's and TOPDWX's. Scalping in front of the proverbial steamroller with plenty of gearing...much fun in a sideways tracking market...but beware!
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Ok , so the markets tracking sideways and all the traders sitting with CFDS and SSF's are feeling like they have had their bank accounts mauled by T Rex......my suggestion would be to exit these positions and save the interest. Why not scalp the Dow, FTSE and big forex pairs such as $/Euro? Your cost in is 1 pip and your cost out is 1 pip. thats it. If you scalp 30-50 points your risk is very low, your costs non existent, you do not get screwed on interest. Why oh why trade CFD's at a cost of 0.7% plus in a sideways tracking market?? This is not a hobby, it is a tough tough business - trade where your costs are low and your upside is unlimited and your range of markets far broader....if the JSE is sitting and the Dow is sitting....why not trade the $/Yen or the Ozzie exchange - look for a market that is active and trade that market on low costs as opposed to sticking with a stalled market at exhorbitant costs! As always, may the charts be with you.
0 Kudos
Asher
Regular Contributor
did you quit when that happened to you?
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Are you gap traders expecting a gap close downwards today?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
traders expect nothing .. they respond to price moves ..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Hows those shorts doing today?
0 Kudos
theyoungster
Super Contributor
Lol maybe im just stupid?,but all my shares are going up and have been doing so for a while, WHL up 34% since november 2009, reaching new highs every day....so where is this market with no direction?? I see an uptrend - and with shares paying dividends and my longer term strategy Im not really worried about chasing 2-3% and using huge leverage products to make it worth chasing those 2-3% the ultra lazy trading system is : buy index's and hold !! do expect corrections but i'll just hold on good luck to those shorts/counter trend traders
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
When the Dow hits 10780 we could see a potential double top.IMO if there is going to be a correction(for which i think we are due) in this market it will be then. Thats 80 odd points away. Volumes have been a little thin the last couple of weeks it seems as if many sitting on the sidelines waiting for the correction. I have a few longs and must say getting a little twitchy.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Does the Dow need to replicate its recent high (exactly) for a potential double top? Currently the Dow seems to be trading at a high enough resistance level.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Technically the Dow has a target to 10900 in the short term (Inverse H&S pattern) WE are seeing neg divergance on the oscilators so expect a pullback to 10500 before the run up to 10900. The double top at 10730 will probably start the correction down to 10500/10450 however don't expect a major move down, the consolidation over the last week or so is a bullish indicator. If you are trading the Dow intra day there is easy profit waiting for you at the 10730 mark. IMO and may the charts be with you.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Dow just closed above 10725 which was Jan's high. I don't have the chart but I think the new high closes on the DJIA and DJ transport index confirms a bull market. My shorts are soooooo f'ed. Please let me know if I'm wrong.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'll let you know in 6 months time - with 100% accuracy.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Dow retreated nicely from the 10770 level for a nice quick easy 20 point - at $50 per point you just banked $1000 in 20 minutes...
0 Kudos