Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Time Difference Advantage

Not applicable
Does this realy make us lucky sometimes because today most world markets were down about 1% and we are just recovering from an opening gap?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
richardw
Super Contributor
In my opinion, much of the market is just trying to guess where the US will go (obviously with exceptions - sometimes Europe is more directly important). Our advantage is that we get hints from Asia, but we largely share the market movements with European exchanges. Look at London right now. Hardly down, so we're just mirroring what they do. So...what advantage do we have over e.g. London or Germany? None, I'd say. Asia yes, because they're often flying blind on a Monday without any cues from other markets.
0 Kudos
GrantRB
Contributor
Is anyone long the ALSI ?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
US is the biggest and has the influence when they open and tuesdays early trading for everyone?
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I was. In at 28400 out at 28600-ish.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I think US has the influence 24/5, either directly or through their futures markets, although Simon says that Europe is where the action is until the US opens because that's where the volume is. Either way, the US futures and Eu markets track each other closely in terms of movement (not level). US open only hints at what they'll do later, and often leads you astray. They don't want you knowing exactly what they'll do, so they often hide their moves until later. Often the big stuff happens just after Europe closes, or at the US close. Remember - they're always trying to trick you, and "they" is often a computer.
0 Kudos