Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Time to sell those FIN and IND shares?

DEP
Super Contributor
Time to sell those FIN & IND shares?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
well, I can't find a reason to hold these...
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
how about they keep going up? ...and everything else seems to be going down?
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
yeah... we have been here before. Well, give me a compelling reason for your assumption.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
... its quiet possible - I'm not a fan of hype though! I'm looking at shorting a Ind (hype share) and longing another Ind (a bit beaten down) in the same sector.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
... since there in not FIn&INd index shorts available.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
My rule of thumb:if a share is in an uptrend,go long on pullbacks to support;If share is in a downtrend,go short on rallies to resistance.A technical analyst on summit a few night ago said that he has gone short on MPC because "it can't go up forever".What a bad reason for shorting a share!It is the opposite of catching a falling knife.How exactly do you decide that it has gone up enough when it has been in an uptrend since July 2008?
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
My broker told me 2 yrs ago MPC was over-valued @ R 80 we need to sell. Unfortunately I listened to him - it was an important less to have learned, they might be over-valued but theres truth to "ride out your winners".

He was right though...at the time it was over-valued, so is SAB, NPN and BTI today, to name a few. Doesnt mean the price wont go further up.
0 Kudos