Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Time to sell?

partridge
Super Contributor
Having destroyed so much value as the high streets melt around them and the retailers are flat or down, the only question is will the price rise on/pre the earnings anouncements due in Feb - or is this discounting it - stick or sell?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
Actually I have been tracking this one to start adding to my listed retail portfolio. I like the quality of its assets - but I generally don't buy stocks that are going nowhere. My criteria for entering into this stock would be a Euro recession + rand strengthening - i.e. a perfect storm that would drive CSO lower. At this level, and with this level of price action, I am not interested
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
A perfect storm - ie a buyers perfect storm. Sometimes shares are going nowhere- other times they have the appearance of doing this. This is a share that has an environmental reality. I think I am going to sell.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I said I was waiting for the perfect storm, I didn't say it was going to happen though. So was in no way suggesting that it was going lower. It is just that my investment philosophy is to buy extreme price or momentum. I like a bit of capital protection - i.e. when stocks are sitting in the neutral zone, I like to know that I am already in the money while we wait for them to rerate. If they do rerate, and the action is down, and my criteria for offloading a share kicks in, I like to be able to exit in the money or with little loss. That is why I wouldn't buy CSO. However, if I was already invested, well then it would be a question of when I bought. If I had bought high and was in the red, I might be tempted to offload, free up the cash and wait for the next market pullback to put into a better investment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Oh - and one more thing, which is a bit more related to emotions. Never never sell at a position where, if you were not invested, you would consider entering. This may sound stupid, but it is amazing how often we exit a position that is going against us, simply because we see that we are losing money. Yet if we sold, and then took a new position at the current level, we would feel better because now we evaluate profit and loss on the current holdings - and not what happened before - i.e. we erase the loss from our minds and focus on what we now hold.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
your last sentance summed up my position
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
0 Kudos