Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Time to short Hot sector (Retailers) and Long cold sector (Resources)

DEP
Super Contributor
Time (soon) to short Hot sector -Retailers and Long cold sector -Resources.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
so you want to short the winners, the companies that have consistently shown significant growth year on year, and you want to go long on the sector that is constantly in labour strife, production issues, rand sensitivies, Eskom standoffs, nationalization targets and all other good things. LEt me know how the strategy works for you!
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
yes, indeed. The main aspect of trading the markets = managing FEAR vs Greed. Retailers Traders over positive and Resources over negative. You see I like to move away from the crowds ... So i'm aim at part of my derivatives portfolio: * Short (50%) = SHP; WHL; MPC; TRU * Long (50%) = SOL, BHP, AGL, EXX
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
Let's talk at the end of September 2012. The only regret I have is that I'm not short EXX.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
after 1 month can make it 29 September 2012.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
Im not someone to knock someone elses system but I do wonder if you've looked at everything...eg WHL is up on massive volume yesterday, all the shorts are scrambling to get out.
Your also trying to catch a falling knife with resources and do the opposite with retailers.

Wouldnt it be better to wait for a sign of a reversal on either first?
0 Kudos
Wino
Super Contributor
Shaun Le Roux (hope that is right) of PSG Equity fund seems to agree with him. Previous quarter bought up to 20% of total portfolio BHP & AGL.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
The top 5 losers (see home page) are resources.Try again on Monday.
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
... you point? Look at bigger pic not one day move!
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
From the bones Sangoma sees an inflation bloodhound finding a scent.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
My point is the same as BC02's above.
0 Kudos