Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

To John - Q on Patents

Blik
Super Contributor
Hello John. I have read that you have been doing some research into patents and getting patents registered for your ideas. Anyway I am curious as to the process of how to find out whether someone else has already patented your idea? How detailed a search do you, or the patent lawyer, have to do to clear the product or idea for patent? Have you found the process to be efficient?
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
john_1
Super Contributor
Lots of questions, ya first you have an idea..then you search in case somebody else has..then you file a provisional. go to mypatent.co.za it has every imaginable resourse including how to file a provisional patent yourself...also go to freepatentonline.com register for free and start seaching...do not pay a lawyer to search it cost money and they use the same sites..also espace.net..feel free to ask more. always happy to help.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
It is a process that in itself is really simple..it allows you to create an asset from thin air that may be of extreme value..but the graveyard is full of people who have tried and failed... but like trading people lots of people do make it work.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
hows your venture coming along, John?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hello John. Many thanks for the advice. I will have a look. I doubt my idea will ever make me rich, unless I invest a huge amount of effort into marketing.Howwever no knowledge is ever lost, and if I can understand the patent process, then if an idea comes up again, then at least I will be ahead. Thanks again.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
waiting....Anybody know the minister of health...I need a meeting
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
health DG good enough ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
MAybe better... I have had lots of chats with his secratary..Peace...but need to have a face to face.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah sorry cancel that .. ex DG ..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
YA rumor has it he got the boot!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm working on an idea to divide a 2L plastic "Coke bottle" into two sealed compartments. Admit it, if you see a half full bottle of coke, you leave it in the frige for weeks an no one drinks it. And you wont buy any more Coke because there is still a litre left at home.??
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
nah even further back, the old one under manto .. my sister was well connected with them ..
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
Just a comment on the registering of patents in the RSA - the RSA patent office is one of the few in the world that will issue you with a patent without a comprehensive prior art search. So although you may think you have a novel idea that has a patent assigned to it, be careful as there may be others out there with similar claims. The way to overcome this is to register your patent application with the European or US patent office - but then you will be paying dollars (or Euros) for this.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
My idea has got to do with a sporting patent - I dont even know where to begin my search, as I have no idea what the product is called, or would be called. I have tried a short general search, and nothing so far. Anyway I want to build a test model first, see if it works in practice, and then worry about any potential patent. My theory seems sound, but then I imagine, so were all the others, until they didnt work in practice.
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
@Blik, typically you will need to use a patent specific search engine with relevant key word searches e.g. Delphion. This costs used to be around US$6 per search. If you have the funds then maybe register with them and have this done - Delphion can cover
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Delphinion is a pain... go to freepatentsonline..or espace.net... search by claim..so if it floats..search floating devices..etc.for a patent to be granted it must be novel.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
at this stage Manto herself might be useful..she was tough on tobacco
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Cheers Og and John - thanks for the advice. Will follow-up. Maybe I'll keep this one on the long term bucket list. Number 49. To Own a Patent.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Sell a patent.....much more fun
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Remember that a patent is only as strong as the cash reserves you have to defend it. It matters not a bit if you have a foreign patent & then cannot afford to defend it in a European, American or Chinese Court. Better to just produce & sell - harder work but way more rewarding. Unless you can get someone to buy yr patent based on future unproven earnings...OMO (with hard experience)
0 Kudos