Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Too much bearishness

sponono
Super Contributor
Bulls 28%, Bears 42%, Neutral 30% aaii.com
0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
sponono
Super Contributor
seems the Rand has found 8.60 too hot to break through
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Probably. Haven't held AGL for over a year now. Started taking back my position this morning. Big level. If it breaks this level... too bad. I'll continue to build my position.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
You might of course be right since no one knows what will happen next,but what prompts you to catch the falling knife at this particular point?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
R255 is a big level for AGL. So I took some. Not much science to it. Trading is no science either. I'll hold these things and make a fine return - perhaps in a day - perhaps in a year. Not trying to time it that accurately. Gave up that game long ago. I'll continue to take my AGL back as it drops, or I'll make do with the ones I have. My cost in on the whole batch - if I were to buy them all back at R255 is "-" R5 - that's good enough for me!
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Resources are not in my list of dream assets.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
so you not timing...just PRICE...thats why its not science. Anyway AGL going all the way down to 240 and when markets go it just goes...
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
You're joking - right!?!. The argument was about investing being about "TIME in the market" and tading about "TIMING the market." Thus - my attitude is that of an investor - ie "TIME in the market. Incidentally "TIME in the market" is still TIME. If I could earn more interest (a payment for the use of my money based on TIME! )in the bank - I would go with that. It's always time!! Now, stop being silly! You're better than this vacuous argument that you are perpetuating.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
okay i like this argument simply because its like the chicken and egg thing...you cant have one without the other but you posted:"Not trying to time it" okay i left out the accurately because now if its not accurately timed, then price must be the dominant determinant? As far as "time in the market" goes...look at Implats...will time in the market sort its price out.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
BUT that's the point - assuming IMPLATS falls to zero - it would fail the test on both counts to wit. "timing" and "time-in" the market. It is about return over time. This implies price growth (or the inverse for a short position.) Price will do what it will do. All things being equal, you cannot make IMPLATS go up (or down, for that matter.) You can merely time your entry and exit points. The price is beyond your control. "Timing," on the othe hand, is the very measure of your activities. It is absolute and you DEFINE it. It is your slave, your servant. You and I - in our short lives/careers can only take advantage of the movement within a given period. This movement must be judged on a relative basis - for this we use the "interest-free rate of return (moneymarket rates etc.) Our overall results are measured in absolute terms as an annual rate of return.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
You can merely time your entry and exit points. and those entry and exit points are "PRICE". chicken and egg story? Anyway, we better scale back on this lest we be called comedians again!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and he just below us on this thread! eh eh!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and he just below us on this thread! eh eh!
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Rams did you take offence when I called you a comedian? If so I am sorry I meant you and Threshold always come up with funny posts. Am asking this because you never got over that post.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
They are points in time - that's all price is.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
offence, no, becos sometimes when you dont understand aspects way above your level of thinking, its sound comical!
0 Kudos
superstar
Regular Contributor
Rams, remember when I said you are funny? forget about that! YOUR ARE CRAZY!!!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Hmm - and GFI at R96 and HAR @R72 and BEG at 4c. Do you ever buy anything?
0 Kudos