Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Top performing commodity in 2011 ??

5 REPLIES 5
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Unfortunately not so in SA.Dairy industry under pressure here due to increase in feed and other input costs, maize up almost 90% and proteins (oil cakes) 30%, likewise fertilizer. Price of milk to the producer has remained static, with the first increase in ages being beginning of this month and I understand there is another due early next month.Big boys (Clover, Nestle ,Parmalat) still crack the whip in this game, and unfortunately are squeezing the producer. The number of dispersal sales of dairy herds tells the true story. Maybe "Milk SA 2012", will be the top performing commodity, For the sake of our farmers battling against the elements, theft and other security issues, I hope so
0 Kudos
Harathke
Regular Contributor
Still sounds like Clovers the way to go.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thank you prancing horse.You got it. It is easier making a living trading than dairy farming.
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
The producer's are always screwed over in the agricultural or farming industry... the middle man makes the bucks....
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Agreed...During the mid 1990,s I grew broiler chickens for a couple of years. My costs were around R7 a kg...I sold them to the local supermarkets for around R8 a kg (bagged, labled and ready for sale with the supermarkets price which was around R10/kg. I took all the risks and all they did was put them into freezers and they made double the profits I made.
0 Kudos