Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Top40 stocks 2013 returns

16 REPLIES 16
Prestonmyhusban
Regular Contributor
Thanks Simon. WHL is such a quality stock but it underperformed the Index. Return is closer to Zero than 10%.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Only retailers worth keeping in your portfolio in 2013 was Mr Price - Up 30%.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
@ Kwagga, Agreed, but fundamentally WHL has released excellent results last year. I do not understand this negative correlation.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Hi Simon...is there anyway you can put the 2012 shares / growth shaded behind the 2013 graph - this would make a nice comparison...maybe asking too much
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
lol, I suspects beyond my ability .. certainly would way eat into drinking time, so next best, here be the 2012 version of same
http://tickertalk.co.za/blog.php?user=SimonPB&blogentry_id=3991
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Simply a question of price. The price on most retailers made provision for very good results, which they got most of the time. It was priced in, hence the high PE's. Look at another share Discovery. Great company, great management, but sitting on a 22 PE after the recent drop. The price dropped from R100 to the current R83 and we're sitting with a huge head and shoulders formation completed. That tells me that if the next set of results disappoint in the slightest this share is going to take a huge knock. I'll expect the same from all the retailers. The African growth story has piped down. I expect a dampened year on the JSE this year.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Muchas gracias sir. Flippen useful and interesting stuff this!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
For me, there certainly seems to be a golden triangle of shares in and around the 20-25% growth with 2-4% div: SAB - MTN - BIL on both infographics.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Thanks for these Simon, very useful. Personally I like to measure against the financial year. Any chance end of Feb? LOL
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
tryign to do mid cap, but it is way way busy and one can't see anything
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
All this is like lighting a candle when the sun is shining. Given the FTSE 100 yoy to 31 December did 14.4% in local currency terms the Dax 25.5 and the Cac 40 18%. ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I'll see your sun and raise you a candle ..
MidCap index info graphic, very busy http://www.simonbrown.co.za/blog/2014/1/13/midcap-stocks-2013-returns-info-graphic.html
0 Kudos