Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

TopGun..Advise please

Preston
Super Contributor
I have heavily invested in two shares. I plan to keep them for at least 3 years. Should i avoid all these noise or sell. Thanks
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
Presto, my advise is stay with them, as you chose to INVEST not punt,mho.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Hey PD. I see BIL has ups its offer to Rio Tinto to 3.4 shares. Are you still holding BIL?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Presto, buy my book so u can calculate ur 3yr projection. LOL
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Preston, wwhich 2 shares did you buy?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Preston, i am also invested in long term shares, i am holding in these times, sometimes even adding more to the positions. I also have some BILs... Hope a deal can be made!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
P, which 2 shares did you buy?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Guys ,how come there is no SENS on BIL and its share offer. I saw this on Channel 291 around 2am.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
PD ??? Do you agree!
0 Kudos
Project_Directo
Super Contributor
I agree, sorry about delay another mega pow wow out the way,lol
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Preston.... did you try the Plonky method...?? Buy AGL under R400 and sell when they get to R450. It happended again this week.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Dude, i need large amount of capital to execute that move to buy AGL. What is your opinion on the pending doom and gloom.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
Preston - the key to sound lt. investment is to enter at an appropriate divi yield and an acceptable PE ratio - all other factors being equal. Pik is a solid defensive stock in difficult times with a low Beta. At 3100 cps, it is trading on a reasonable and growing divi yield of 5%. The business has stood the test of time compounding at 15% p.a plus the divi - not spectacular but solid nonetheless. RMH is a slightly different kettle of fish with more cyclical earnings and susceptible to larger PE valuation swings...and now the mavericks in equity trading have gone and lost R750m! The poor souls who invested in 1997 took 7 years just to get their money back! Today, however, the situation is much different with RMH/FSR having a diversified earnings base and a very reasonable forward PE at 2600 cps with a divi yield of 6%. It has lost 30% since Nov. and most of the damage is probably already in the price. Check out the 10-year charts on both which encapsulates the post-1998 downturn and subsequent recovery. All shares other than the commodity counters are under tremendous pressure at present and likely to remain so until at least the third quarter. In the near-term they might well become even slightly cheaper. A true long-term investor should however not be watching the ticker on a daily basis..provided the initial purchase was sound.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Thank Topgun. Really appreciate the input.
0 Kudos