Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Topgun Challenge website updated!!!

21 REPLIES 21
john_1
Super Contributor
bummer first time I am below the benchmark....
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
still some time left for that to change again....
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Ya its about right a little over 10% above the bench mark. I recon if you did this for ten years that would be the one constant..that most people underperform the benchmark.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya, benchmark 8th ... not good .
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
about right as about as 85% underperform index
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
sure, question is if that 85% recognise the fact an just buy stx40 ? probably not and that could mean box wine for retirement ...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
What would be interesting is to see if we run this challenge year after year, if the participants learn from trading and if their track record gets better as time goes by, that would be a excellent sight (if it improves)...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Guys, what do you think of a challenge where the winner gets a prize (Mont Blanc)? let me know, i only have one reply to my original comment... I thought, maybe if i can build a website where we can monitor the challenge, we can invite other participants from around the country (that are not on this site) to increase the entrance fee and provide more cash for prizes, my idea, #1-long term, 1 year timeframe; #2-Trader, person who wins most monthly challenges, etc. I will see if i can make a basic site that we can display the results on, would also include dividends(by the way the topgun challenge includes divs whic my sight doesnt, so some people might benefit from this)
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
If we were allowed one or two changes to our picks each year it would make sense. Only being allowed to choose from one's original portfolio was a bit limited - I would have a far broader choice now. Still we have hit a really ***** run, and I would happily drop some of my picks from the challenge. The good thing for me, that that I am still up on some of my original buys.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
If we had a prize the winner this year would have been rewarded for the negative return on investment!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
We would have to check with Topgun for the rules, but i think the participants had to indicate if they were bullish or bearing on their specific stock selection, e.g. if you were bullish and selected shares that fell the most, you wouldn't qualify for 1st place, it depends on your intention of the share...
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Did not say before,but i was bearish about all my entries,therefore i'm the WINNER,i'm the WINNER,yeah/=!!
0 Kudos
divz
Super Contributor
If i remember correctly the challenge was to pick shares going long for the year hence the ranking.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I wouldn't get so excited Barry. The prize this year is a SHORT dinner and a LOOOOONG wait. :)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
We will have to confirm with TopGun, i think most people (if not all) said their shares were bullish, unfortunately the website doesnt indicate this... if we agree to run the challenge again in 2009, i will make a more functional website...
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
LOL wait for imuniti to run, bring on the pen.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol, the pen will not be for this year though...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
the reason I have been 100% in cash held in a USD account....and just been day trading......
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think you may only be second actually... because I'm sure I said I was bearish as well ;)...anyway, I'm just glad I didn't hold on to any of these shares..otherwise I would have really been in the poo..
0 Kudos