Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Topi

sponono
Super Contributor
I conducted a study of the TOPI over the weekend over the period October 2009 (could not get data for periods prior to this) to date. I found that on and AVERAGE day the TOPI moves up and down only 400 points. The biggest intraday move was 1413 (this was an up move on 30 November 1022) and the smallest move was 103 (this was a down move on 24 December 2010). The question then is: Is it worth it to spend your day trading the TOPI? My answer was NO.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
well then you dont know how to trade...i do it every day of my life and make a living...Why do you need to make a study...just use the ATR...if ATR is within the range of points you require trade if not go for lunch or a movie...simple...my rule...if i need 100 point guaranteed i need a daily ATR of 300..100 point X 5 contracts is 5 k per day...thats an excellent living...dont allow your ineptitude to dissuade ppl from trading...ppl with a winning attitude can always make money...
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
you dont me so please dont call me inept. different strokes for different falks. trading the TOPI is not for me: it does not mean its not for everybody, GETIT!!
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
So don't be a greedy touter of your floppy website business, give us some movie reviews instead.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no u are pretty inept...very little doubt of that...esp if u a cant even access data prior to 2009...(or is that gain the selective use of data?) Point is there are periods when it is easier to make money and periods when it is more difficult and all you need is the ATR (not some kind of psuedo study) The ATR normally rises from now and then dips towards the end of the year....over past years ATR has been 1000 plus and close to 800 last year...If you cant trade a 800 point range...i.e. 10% of the daily range well then ...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an than you wonder why you have all the conspiracy theories about being disliked here ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
no conspiracy theories...i hate em (conspiracy theories that is)...i know why some dislike me...sponono has had his nose put out of joint a few times by ....the others like Rams were kicked out of my website for being disruptive (not my decision)and they bear a grudge...so all perfectly knowable reasons...pretty inept to not be able to find data going back further then 2009 and coming up with such a statement dont you think?...just google it and u get loads of sources...just keeping it real...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
That all depends on the amount of TOPI contracts you trade daily. If your target is 100 points then you need to trade a few contracts every day. Trading a few contracts also limits your risks if used in conjunction with fixed trading rules like scaling out of trades etc. I don't think anyone should waste their time with trying to trade 1 contract only.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Kwagga agreed....my rule of thumb is for every 20K income per month you need you need to trade 2 contracts....(thats trading only 18 days per month) and absolutely scaling out and in (but more so out) is what its all about AND letting your winners run while locking in your daily target. On our site we have had verfiued cases of ppl trading 60k (3 contracts in 300K) in about 3 months....the trick is to keep your position size manageable and the best way is to clear profits out of your account regularly. We recommend our members do it weekly and you will not believe the difference this makes to their equity curve...
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
kicked out of your website? Add LIAR to your dubious credentials. IDIOT!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
sorry that was meant to read ...traded 30K up to 300K in 3 months
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Doo Dah Bonzo man likes attention - all Con Artists like attention.
0 Kudos