Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading Books

Mboss
Contributor
Does anyone recommend any reading that relates to trading or specifically futures trading. I have read a few, would like more like Mark Douglas - Trading in the zone. The 50 shades of grey has just gotten too boring.
0 Kudos
27 REPLIES 27
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
literally hundrds, so carefull .. it a rabbit hole that'll swallow you up ..
Trade your way to financial freedom by Van Tharp
Stock Market Wizards, read the first, the follow ups are money making and weak ..
0 Kudos
Mboss
Contributor
Thanks Simon. I have read quiet a bit, most of them I've read all talk about the same thing. I like the idea of understanding the psychology behind the move.
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
There are only 3 types of trading books: 1) books about trading philosphy (Strategic Stock Trading, The 7 Habits of a Successful Trader), trading strategy (How to make money in stocks, How to trade in stocks) and books about trading psychology (Trading in the Zone). You decide what you want in a book and read the correct book. I try to read all three types at least once every six months.
0 Kudos
Mboss
Contributor
I have been through the books you mention. I try and read as much as possible. It helps clear my mind. Although every now and then I read something different. The 50 shades of grey most recent, is just not for me. Are the any South African written (trading) books out there?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there are some SA books, mostly rubbish .. effective investor being the exception, but investing rather than trading ..
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
I quite liked the follow up to "Trade your way..." called Super Trader, it focuses on position sizing.
Simons right they are a dime a dozen I liked this one a lot as well, I'll always remember the quote "the money is made in the sitting" - still so true today.
- Reminiscences of a Stock Operator - Edwin Lefevre
0 Kudos
Mboss
Contributor
I think Simon should write a book, Im sure you thought about it. Thats something i would read.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mastering the trade by John Carter...one of the few books that tell you how to do it....the nuts and bolts that is. And the I highly recommend Nassim Taleb's...Blacks Swan...not about trading per se ...but useful emphasis on how anything really can happen
0 Kudos
Not applicable
wanted to add ...make sure you read stuff by people who have been sucessfull trader....many a failed trader and bystander who has turned their hand to writing and becoming a sage....take advice from people with a track record...always good when people are prepared to share their trades before they happen.......many an old spent harlot sitting round the whorehouse telling the youngens how to do it
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
How about Essential Decisions by Dr. Clive Roffey?Can't say I've read it myself.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
now u really are causing trouble....a man whose portfolio is down some 40% ...i think not...
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
fooled by randomness way better .. black swan was just going on the fame of randomness and really should've been a 1 pager ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Roffey...short SHP at 9974 short CFR at 4025.....long coal for africa 993 (now at 277!)..long HAR...work it out!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
not only that hes a crook...i have first hand information that he took money from people mostly retired pensioners and the money was GONE...not once did they get a statement or any explanation what happened to their money
0 Kudos
Mboss
Contributor
Books by people who failed at trading is good insight and probably most interesting? I havent come across anyone thats given up on trading. Is trading then addictive? much like gambling?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes it is...and no you dont go with losers...what can they teach you other than not how to do it and you certainly do not take any advice to people who resort to stealing peoples life savings other than how to steal
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Mboss...be under absoloutely no illusions...trading is exactly like gambling in single every way...except one you can decide the size of your wins or losses after the dice has been thrown...an there are no free drinks and flashing lights..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
have to disagree with you on that one RC. Trading is nothing like gambling when done correctly...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I challenge you to tell me how...name one difference other than the one i mentioned...
0 Kudos